Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 214

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Super Eight Radios
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I am interested to know if new reproduction Radio Valves can be obtained? I guess thats what they used in the 1940s ?

Posted on: 2010/11/5 19:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Super Eight Radios
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mechanical vibrators and tube rectifiers are sometimes expensive or slightly harder to get but there are solid state replacements available for both at many places. The rest of the tubes, for the most part can be obtained. I don't believe any are still made here but Russia and China or some of the old eastern bloc countries are still a huge source for tubes. There are several places that specialize in the repair and restoration of the vintage radios. If you wanted to go to non original, there are also many places that can install a modern multiband receiver in the old head.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Valves are pretty easy to find. Before buying Soviet or Chinese, I'd try to find NOS or good used American or Western European units as the quality can be better than the offshore stuff. Antique Electronic Supply (www.tubesandmore.com) is a good source for new and used valves and other radio supplies.

Also, before sinking a bunch of money into new valves, make sure your condensors (aka capacitors) are within acceptable tolerances. Although car radios may differ, I've found that in most older AC/DC sets leaky condensors cause more trouble than burned out valves.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
So although Packard a American car, tubes from anywhere in world will fit, like Europe etc? In such a old car, I would hate to spoil it by putting in a new audio unit. Takes the character away. Rewiring sounds a very hard job, but may be nessersary. I pick up my project car next year, which suits both owner and me. So any pictures of the super eight radio ? Is the radio from a 1948 Packard the same as a 1952 radio ? Anyone got there radio looking like new?

Posted on: 2010/11/6 8:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I mentioned earlier, there are any number of places that will go through the radio and bring it to like new condition--Replacing capacitors are almost a given, and they will use whatever tubes they need and can find--originals if OK, NOS, or import-- just depends on how much you want them to do or how much you want to pay. Here is one who does restorationshttp://www.bobsradio.com/ and has been a vendor at various Packard meets on the west coast. There are many others closer to you and surely even in UK, you can find places.

The 48 radio will not fit a 52. They are totally different configurations. There is also a difference between the 48 and 50. Although they look similar and fit in the same space, the controls are different.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.69 KB)
209_4cd563ff152dd.jpg 1004X888 px

jpg  (48.33 KB)
209_4cd5640ac37d0.jpg 987X457 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Gary,

I've had good luck getting NOS tubes and components to repair the radios from:

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/

http://www.oldradioparts.com/pg1.htm

You may want to find someone who has a tube tester who can check your tubes out. I found a good one on EBay for under $50 and it checks most tubes from the late 30's to 50's. Came with a built in tube chart for setting the tester controls. If you are looking for one make sure you get the tube manual or chart with the tester, it's useless without it.

One part that usually needs replacing in the radio are the capacitors. These may be shorted, open, or be outside their designed value.

They're are paper and mica type capacitors in these radios. The paper ones are usually cylindrical shaped, the mica ones are rectangular or square.

If you're comfortable doing electrical work they can be replaced with some soldering iron work.

A brief overview of what you're getting into:

http://www.justradios.com/captips.html

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2010/11/6 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I see what they mean when they say expensive to repair, bobs radio starts at $450 for just basic repair.

Saw this link also:-

http://online-electronics-store.com/tubes.php

They have alot of radio stuff too.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Excuse me....A Yank talking here....

I should have said valves, not tubes.

Cheers....

Posted on: 2010/11/6 10:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know how close you are, but one of your countrymen is in the process of doing a 48 closed car now. He might be able to answer a lot of your questions as to where and what as well as give you references.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=413

Don't think he started a restoration blog but do a forum search for his posts under his posting name meaarch and you can see what he is doing. Maybe you are even close enough to see it in person.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Regarding the question about European vs. American valves: I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any interchangeability issues between the two. Brit and continental radios may have used different valve complements than did US makes, but I'm pretty sure a 6AU6 is a 6AU6 anywhere you go.

Just my 'two cents' about valve testers: My understanding that the cheaper models available for sale as used gear generally aren't worth the money as the method of testing they employ does not give reliable results. If you're really interested in getting into valve electronics, I would highly recommend spending the extra money on what is called a mutual conductance tester. These units actually test valves under 'real world' conditions and yield much better results. You can identify these by their meters which read in micromohs. (The 'cheapies' generally only read bad/good). Hickok, Simpson, and Triplett were popular manufacturers here in the states.

That being said, for fixing one radio in one car, find someone with a good testing rig and have them test your valves. Again, however, I'd bet that your valves are in better shape than you think and that those old condensors are causing your trouble.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 12:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved