Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

Packard Don, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oven Cleaner?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Has any of you guys ever tried using Lye based oven cleaner to strip parts with?

Just curious how well it works and if it causes any damage to the parts or not?

Posted on: 2007/1/19 20:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Oven Cleaner?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Kev, I did try oven cleaner once when I was cleaning the engine block for painting. It did a reasonable job of removing grease but not really worth the effort compared to plain old varsol. I felt that washing the stuff down the drain afterwards was probably not very sound environmental practice so never used it again. Be sure to wear heavy rubber gloves!

Posted on: 2007/1/19 21:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
BigKevin: Iam sure that oven cleaner makes a good parts cleaner, as I know it does one hell of job when I have clean our oven. The only advice I would give you is use is a well ventulated space.

As far as the color paint you are looking for, rather than paying $ 14.00 for a spray can from Bill Hirsch. Why not take a trip the local commercial parts store, such as Auto Zone. Go to the paint section a see if you can find a color close to what you are looking for. I bet you can find some shade of paint hat is real close, for a heck of alot less money. If Hirsch is selling spray cans for $14.00 a pop, that means that he is getting them from some commercial source.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/1/19 21:28
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the advice guys. I just wanted to make sure that the Lye in the over cleaner wouldn't cause any damage to the cast iron, or aluminum parts. I want to strip the grease off my engine, and then start the derusting process so I can paint it.

So it sounds like it shouldn't cause any harm to the block itself.

I wish there was still some paint left on the block to use for a match to regularly available high-temp paint. But the block is mostly rust, and what does have paint on it was painted body color at some point in it's past.

I wonder if any of these colors are close enough to the Packard engine gray.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/colors/highheat.html

Posted on: 2007/1/19 21:53
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Re: Engine paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Kev, As far as the paint goes unless you are going to attend a judged Packard meet I would just buy a high temp paint that looks close if price is a concern. Very few Packard enthusiasts including me would know the difference anyway and in time a short time any colour you paint it will change shades due to the heat. I bought paint from Bill Hirsch which while expensive is competitively priced with Kanter etc. It was the correct colour and has a good reputation. It hasn't flaked but has lost some of its gloss but I am very satisfied. I wax the cylinder head and it gleams! No paint will adhere properly if the metal beneath it is not properly cleaned as you no doubt already know.

Posted on: 2007/1/20 10:39
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine paint
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the advice Dave. I just want something presentable so the engine doesnt look like something pulled up from the Titanic. I want my car to be a good driver, no trailer queen here.

Does anyone know if the Packard Engine gray is a light grey, medium gray, or a dark gray. I have never seen one in person, and pictures can be deceptive based upon ligitng conditions.

Posted on: 2007/1/20 13:13
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved