Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Electrics
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Would you prefer to keep it 6 Volts, or change to 12 Volts?
Would changing the voltage ulterv the value of the car ?

I will try and keep it 6 Volts, but wondered on your views?

Posted on: 2010/11/12 11:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Electrics
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Before all the 12-volt aficionados jump in here I would vote to keep it original. I drove a 52 Packard with a six-volt system for many years. The system was designed to use six volts and it will work quite well. It never failed me.
And for the 12 volt crowd - what are you going to recommend when they jump to 42 volts??

Posted on: 2010/11/12 11:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gary,

Before we open a

Click to see original Image in a new window

Do a search on the website forum as this has been discussed and debated on and off for many years. We could start a glue factory with all the dead horses we have beaten on this subject.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/11/12 12:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
when changing to 12 volts, would the radio need to be modified at all?

Posted on: 2010/11/12 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just curious, why would you consider changing to 12-volts? Really nothing to be gained unless you're going to add A/C.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Gary, the radio will need to be modified to run on 12v. Opinions on here are like arseholes, but in the end it's your car your money and your decision. I converted mine to 12v mainly because the parts are cheaper and more available as well as I plan on adding a/c. That, and I had to rewire it anyway.

Here's an idea, how about we try to help people with their questions instead of berating them on their decisions?

Posted on: 2010/11/12 13:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's an idea, how about we try to help people with their questions instead of berating them on their decisions?

Not worthy of comment, regardless of who you directed it at.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 14:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Not worthy of comment, regardless of who you directed it at.

I believe that would be a comment..

As for who it was directed at, well, you and the one who if you turned the corner too fast he'll break his nose.

The point is, what's wrong with helping people do what they want to their cars, instead of making them feel inferior because of their decisions? You guy's do this all the time to people and I cannot understand why. It's their car, let them do what they want to it. You're not losing anything by it other than coming across as an ass.

Like Kevin's signature, "While it's nice to be important, it's important to be nice." Learn from it, please.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mr. Marshall asked for views concerning six or twelve volts. I gave him mine on keeping it original. That was the subject and I answered it.
Other folks like to state their views about other people. I also have my views about people. I just keep it to myself.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
And for the 12 volt crowd - what are you going to recommend when they jump to 42 volts??

This is what I'm talking about, am I the only one who see the condescending tone in this??? There's no need for this statement at all, just answer the question instead of berating people.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 15:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved