Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

Don B, JW49, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

i need another groove in the harmonic balancer for ac add
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
i want to add ac to my 56 clipper and already have power steering and a 2 groove pulley on my harmonic balancer does anyone make a 3 groove that will retrofit or is there a company who makes them. i don't want to give up the ps this is the big hurdle for the add it appears. thank you

Posted on: 2010/12/5 21:02
 Top  Print   

Re: i need another groove in the harmonic balancer for ac add
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are two options I know of: add another power steering pulley using an appropriate spacer and longer bolts so it is securely mounted. Many have done this and it does work but is not the correct diameter for the compressor drive and there is a danger of over revving the compressor at higher speeds. Advantage is relatively inexpensive and should be fairly easy to find.

Second option is Jack Nordstrom was reproducing the correct V8 AC pulley including the necessary bolts and spacer. If he still is, would be the way to go. Disadvantage is it is relatively expensive. Might give him a call or to see his work, go to the Golden Hawk sitehttp://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ and click on options then air conditioner addition.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.98 KB)
209_4cfc4875de36f.jpg 273X87 px

Posted on: 2010/12/5 21:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
If the snow ever melts, I've got one in the boneyard somewhere. PM me a Packard V8@comcast.net and I'll see what I can do for you.

Quote:
add another power steering pulley using an appropriate spacer and longer bolts so it is securely mounted. Many have done this and it does work but is not the correct diameter for the compressor drive and there is a danger of over revving the compressor at higher speeds.
This has me confused, so I'll take a caliper to the pulleys, but all I've seen, including the OEM Packard cast iron AC pulleys, appear at a glance to be the same diameter as the generator and PS.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/12/9 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is the factory pulley I have on mine. As mentioned earlier, many have used an additional PS pulley and it does work--particularly if using a Sanden compressor which has a higher rev limit than older reciprocating piston types. The common aftermarket Sanden SD7 or SD5 series has a 6K max--although their performance curves stop at slightly past 3K. Where the problem might be is if the Sanden pulley is smaller than the drive pulley which can happen.

On the GH site, in one picture at upper right showing his bracket, Nordstrom's repro pulley appears to be of similar smaller diameter but maybe a wider belt. A little hard to see though. I can't get my caliper on this but from looks, appears to be about 3/8" less height top and bottom so would make it maybe 3/4" less diameter. My PS pulley is integral with the AC setup but his repro is just the AC.

What is interesting Packard wise, is they only show one AC pulley in the parts book for 55-6 and also only one PS pulley. Obviously, there has to be more than one of each because this is different than the repro AC or the single PS pulley for cars without AC. I am still thinking there was an aftermarket vendor that Packard might have adopted for factory AC use later rather than keep casting or forging their own parts like the early origials. Any number of them -- ARA, Frigiking etc. would be a candidate.

It would seem another anomaly along with the multiple compressor brackets we find when only the one factory supplied type is shown.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.14 KB)
209_4d01081c6772d.jpg 510X640 px

Posted on: 2010/12/9 11:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

I used the Packard add on pulley in front of the Harmonic Balancer. You my be able to pick one up at a flea market. Mike Dulinski may have one. You remove the bolt that holds the Balancer,place the add on pulley in front of it, use a longer bolt, and put it all together.

I used the Classic Auto Air components and fabricated a few braces. I strongly that you use their micro condenser. it cast a little more but it is worth it. I have had my Patrician air condition for four years. It makes the car fun to drive.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.26 KB)
1278_4d012ba4ba449.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (37.89 KB)
1278_4d012bdd238c7.jpg 750X538 px

Posted on: 2010/12/9 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Executive has a pulley arrangement identicle to HH56's as he has pictured above.

IIRC and described in another thread a year or so ago there were 2wo different oem Packard V8 AC pulleys. One is cast iron and the other Aluminium. Mine is Al.

My set up has a 84-86 Toyota compresor. The compressor pulley is 5-1/2 to 5-3/4 inch major diameter.

Quite frankly i doubt very much that whether the crank pulley is slightly smaller than PS pulley or the same diameter will make any difference at all with any compressor assuming that the car is not driven in the 100-130 mph range.

In all applications I've seen there are some compressor pulleys almost as big as crank pulleys but i've never seen compressor pullies larger than crank pullys. Usualy the compressor pulley is conspicuously smaller than crank pullys.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 18:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2010/12/9 18:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're probably right on the danger. I just try and stay within reasonable safety and performance guidelines. Pulley sizes do seem to run the range. That Packard drive pulley appears to be about 6 1/4 outside edges--but can't get a straight shot to read it perfectly. That would make the PS pulley close to 7.

I have 5 older compressors I can sort of get to--4 from 50's, 1 from 60s.

2 Lehighs: one pulley is 5 1/2", other is 6 1/4"; Both came off Packards but one was with a trunk aftermarket unit.
1 GM rotary from 54 Cad with 6" about and a clutch; one I don't see a mfg name with a 9" and might be a 6v unit, and finally, a Tecumseh from 60's Ford with a 7".

With exception of the Cad, all are recip piston type. Would be interesting to see what each was coupled with but no luck there.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks for the update on the 50's and 60's AC pulley diameters. I was not aware that they ran that large. But then again there was very minimal AC actually ordered prior to the early 70's.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packard 1956 352 V8 harmonic ballancer and PS pulley= 6-7/8 inch diameter. I just measered one i had laying on the shelf here.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 19:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved