Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

53 Cavalier, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Projects
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
When using Red Oxide Primer, does another primer need to go ontop of that before paint spraying? or can you just go ahead and paint spray?

Posted on: 2010/12/11 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
It's ok, I now understand about Red Oxide.
One thing though, has anyone used chemicals to remove old paint/Red Oxide ? To get to the bare metal?

Posted on: 2010/12/12 2:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
You're referring to aircraft stripper. Spread it on, let it bubble and scrape it off. If the car has had multiple paint jobs, it will take multiple applications to get to bare metal. It's a messy, smelly and generally objectionable process but it does get rid of the paint.

As to the application of red oxide primer...each finish manufacturer offers a complete system of primer and paint that should be used together and in the order suggested by that particular manufacturer. For the best results, decide on the type of finish you want, then choose the brand you want to use and then follow their application instructions.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One caution on the paint on stripper (the really good stuff anyway) is to make sure and get every last bit of it off and out of any cracks, seams or blind hole hollow areas. If any is left, it can migrate out and blister or ruin any new paint.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 11:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
HH56 is completely right about getting the stripper completely removed. Just one little bit hiding under the new paint will make itself known the first time the sun warms up the body.

As a matter of fact, I probably wouldn't use chemical strippers unless I was planning on a complete repaint including the use of all of the proper prep materials (i.e., seam sealers, metal etch, self etching primer, etc...)

Posted on: 2010/12/12 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Prob best to just use hand sander, chemical sounds like job for professionals .

Posted on: 2010/12/12 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
May I suggest starting a different thread for separate topics, this one has so far covered and answered numerous varied and sundry questions. It makes it very difficult to look up the answer to a topic of interest later on. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 14:36
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Quote:
chemical sounds like job for professionals

Not at all. You just need to pay attention to the details and make sure your work is fastidious.

And, yes, this thread is becoming a labyrinth. Time to split it up.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I agree, and thanks to everyone for useful hints .
When I start on my project car, I will return to this thread giving detailed bit by bit progress report . From car arriving to England to finished car. I hope you will all find it interesting. Thanks again, and for now leave this thread until later . Hope to meet many of you at a meet some day. I look forward to getting my hands dirty, and getting stuck in. The advice from Big KeV about using the grinder and 4 1/2 " stripping discs will really be of great Benifit. Every detail will be looked at. No doubt I will be asking for more help when project under way. Of all the members I must be the most beginner of everyone, and so a big thanks to you kind members for being patient with me.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 22:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved