Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: A CANADIAN-built Packard?!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Regarding how late Packard assembly ('55-'56) by D'Iteren Freres in Belgium may have come about. They had a Studebaker assembly and distribution in place after WWII onto the end. With the Packard and Studebaker merger, they may have taken up the same for Packard.

When I can find my copy of Turning Wheel detailing their operations, I will post whatever information it contains.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/12/18 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
D'Iteren Freres has quite a fascinating history, and is still very much in the automotive business in Europe, or at least they were the last time I Googled them. In the Classic era they were best known for their custom coachwork, done on many chassis but especially on the Belgian Minerva. Post war they also operated a VW assembly unit, if I recall correctly.

I have a friend here in NJ who owns a massive, original 8-cylinder sleeve valve Minerva by fabric coachwork by D'Iteren Freres, perhaps under license from Weymann who was the most prolific maker of fabric bodies.

Update 12/19: If you're interested, go tohttp://www.henokiens.com/index_dieteren_gb.php

Attach file:

jpg  (57.47 KB)
177_4d0cdd019b1f6.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (59.47 KB)
177_4d0cdd0cc79e4.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2010/12/18 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
'There were some' Canadian Built' 1932 Chrysler Imperial 8 model CH automobiles. They ranged from 9890001 though 9890041.

I have looked at several of these, several still survive, and I can see no unique features. They all had Budd bodies.

It is not likely that a separate assembly line was built for forty cars. More likely than not, they were Built in Detroit, moved across the border under the cover of night, and new serial plates affixed.'

More likely they were imported in pieces and assembled in Canada, using Canadian sourced parts and materials wherever possible.

By bringing in the body in white, bare frame, engine and running gear then finishing the car with Canadian labor and Canadian materials they could easily cut the import duty by half or more, a savings of hundreds of dollars on such an expensive car. I believe that model was more or less hand made anyway. At least more hand work went into it than a mass produced Plymouth or Dodge.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

AL wrote:
"In the end he was happy sort of when he won his class. But he only got the class trophy because I had won the class, but because I won Best of Show, they only gave one trophy per entry."

Just a quick note because I don't wish to hi-jack the thread, but I have always had a problem with that kind of logic, as I have run into that type of squirrely thinking before. How can a car that did not win it's own class win a best of show. It does not make sense.

Al,

These shows need to be fun and I beieve you need to spread the trophies around if possible. So the BofS car should not win it's class. Now I'm not suggesting that you dilute the nmber of trophies so that winning a trophy means little. I experienced an embarassing momment this year when I won 4 trophies at a 600+ car show. One should had been enough for my car as there are plenty of deserving cars in that size of a show. If I had know what was going to happen I would had advise them to spread the awards out. I did at one show advise the show organizers not to give me the three awards they were planning to give me. I told them I didn't need them and to spread them around. So they ended given another car three trophies.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 0:04
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

luddite
See User information
Canadian built Packards had some slight differences in 1937
anyway, the headlight rings being one that I know of on the junior cars. The Canadian cars had a real thin ring instead of the 1 in. [approximation] wide one.

My question is were the convertibles all built in Detriot?
My 1937 convertible coupe has the wide headlight rings, but was sold new in Montreal and was original paint when I restored it.
Also are the headlight lenses the same?

Thanks Vern

Posted on: 2010/12/25 8:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is your car missing the VN plate? (See post #3 of this thread for a picture). If it says "Made in Canada" you have your answer. If the VN plate is missing, the only possible way to tell that I'm aware of is by the country of origin of the tires (if still original, unlikely) or possibly the markings on the safety glass.

Not a definitive answer but the only Canadian-built juniors I've seen are coupes and sedans.

Posted on: 2010/12/25 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
In addition to the thin trim rings the headlight lenses were different on the Canadian built cars.
Windshields were laminated safety glass but all other windows were tempered glass.

Posted on: 2010/12/25 12:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved