Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang,

This morning I finally got inside the distributor on my '55 Patrician. I want to thank Howard for tipping me off to the cloth covered wires inside. Happily, they are in great shape.
The same cannot be said of much else. To say the electrical contact areas are burnt doesn't quite convey their condition: Cremated or B-B-Q'd comes closest. The edge of the rotor that provides the path to the plug points in the cap is completely black and the trailing edge appears charred to the extent that the plastic near the trailing edge is either melted or burned away. The points themselves appear melted as well.
If I understand what Howard and Owen have said, it looks like the Ballast Resistor hasn't been doing it's work for some time. The condenser looks like it's taken some time off as well. The more I get into the electrical system the more amazed I am that this car ran at all. My knowledge of the parts may be lacking but I know they aren't supposed to look like THIS!
I got my statement from Max Merritt yesterday and I see they shipped a Ballast Resistor. I'll check the ohms when it arrives and if it doesn't meet Delco specs I'll send it back and get a Echlin ICR 12 from NAPA that thanks to Owen, I know will do the job. I did find and checked the Delco Website and it looks like they no longer have anything that will meet my needs - at least as far as a Ballast Resistor.
I may be overly optimistic, but I really am beginning to think the only thing that keeps this car from starting, aside from an over active ignition switch, is a good tune-up. And a tune-up kit came with the car! I'm basing this on an experience my father had with his '69 Chrysler. It was way overdue for a tune-up but since he was dealing to trade it in he put the tune-up off. The dealing took longer than he expected and one morning he started it up got half way down the street and the car died. It would not start and had to be towed in for that (in late '69) $50 tune-up.
My thanks again to Owen, Howard, 55Clipper JW and anyone I may have left out for sharing your knowledge and insight.
I also want to thank Don (Portlandon)for his suggestion about the Blog which I will attempt to do, and for telling me about this car in the first place.
Be sure to tune in next time kids, for the next thrilling installment!

Posted on: 2011/1/8 14:09
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Points shouldn't be cremated--although you said the resistor was essentially a solid wire so maybe. Resistors usually open though, not short. Pay attention when you get the new items in for any sign of heating. If there is, then you still need to rule out a shorted coil or possibly the solenoid is not disconnecting the direct 12v to the coil which should be there only when starting.

Any sign the wires around the resistor have been damaged such as insulation looking wrinkled, discolored or otherwise different than other nearby wires -- like one might have gotten hot?

Posted on: 2011/1/8 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Try Vette Products in Clarkston, MI for the Delco ballast resistor. The owner, Neal Porter is a Packard man and he has the new Delco ballast resistors that he says are coorrect for our V-8 Packards.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you yet again, Howard.
All three wires are in excellent shape. If I recall correctly when I put the starter back in, the Green wire that provides the by-pass for full voltage to the coil look a little crisp but that might be due to engine heat? When the ignition switch gets here I'll check for voltage after running the starter then leaving the switch in "run". As for the coil, I'm thinking of replacing it with one marked + & - as opposed to Dist & Batt because of the lingering polarity issues.

I also want to thank Packards1 for the tip about Vette Products carrying Delco Ballast Resistors. When I call I'll be sure to ask about the ohm reading.

Jim

Posted on: 2011/1/8 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Sorry for being such a pest today but.....
I took a good look at the voltage regulator on my '55 Patrician and while I didn't find a brand name I did find the following printed on the base: "7121 Pos-Neg".
Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm hoping it means the regulator is one that doesn't care about polarity but I thought I'd check here.
Thanks for all your help -

Jim

Posted on: 2011/1/8 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
I also want to thank Don (Portlandon)for his suggestion about the Blog which I will attempt to do, and for telling me about this car in the first place.

Just glad it went to someone who will keep it original. It was on a popular Modified Car site, and it looked too nice to customize.

If you need a Distributor I have one if you want it. It came out of a '55 400. I have it at work in West Linn.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hey Don,

I wasn't sure about that site but that was what it looked like to me. I had a heck of time getting to the add - they have a lot of hoops to go through to join or access anything. Of course it could be my lack of experience too.
I obviously agree about the car. Once I saw the condition of the chrome and upholstery, I was sold - especially considering how much plating costs these days. Everything just looked like it really wanted to run. Once I get the new ignition switch and give it a tune-up, I really thing it will!
Thank you for your offer of the distributor, I will definitely keep it in mind!
I'm having trouble keeping my hands off of it - can't wait for the warmer weather. Once I get my '51 out of the shop maybe it will calm my need for a Packard "Fix".

Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved