Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 222

Jack Vines, Duane Gunn, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rusty Nuts and Bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I think Brian it needs more investigation.

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/How-To-Change-The-Colour-Of-Leather-Car-Seats.htm

My oh my, that car did look a wreck. Wonder
How it looks now?

It it possible to get chromed fastners for engine area? I think it nice to make engine area more interesting, as it normally the most ugly area of a car. I have noted all websites inclosed and will for sure stock up on some useful bits and bobs. I see they even sell new wires in the old fashioned cloth style, that's really interesting. And spark plug leads in cloth covered too. Adds to the antique look.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 16:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, Gary, the Eastwood link that you provided led me to a rattle-can paint product. While I do know of successful results with similar products on vinyl and other plastic interior trim, I don't know of anyone who has used such a product on leather and don't have a good gut feeling about it for that purpose.

However, the page provided by your latest link is something completely different - not merely a paint. With this system, completely stripping the old finish from the leather would certainly provide for better adhesion of the new product. Moreover, the balance of this restoration process seems to be similar to what's done in the manufacturing of new hides. The use of a water-based finish is something new to me, though.

Provided the condition of the leather in your car is sound enough to refinish, I don't know why you would consider the Eastwood paint for leather, when this system is available in the UK.

As for that tired old Four Hundred, I had purchased it only to salvage some essential parts - not to restore. With no place to store the hulk, I left it in the private yard where I found it, and I haven't been back in years. Given the high value of scrap iron, here, in recenet years, I would be surprised if that car is still there. I;m more concerned with finding the time, space, and money to pick up where I left off with work on my two '56 Patricians and the Caribbean Hardtop.

Sorry, but I can't be of much help with engine dress-up items, as my restoration goals are to preserve original form and function.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
At the risk of being a crank, may I again respectfully request that thread questions and replies be at least loosely related to the initial thread topic, in this case: rusty nuts & bolts?

There have been multiple forays into: timing lights,leather dyeing, repro tail lenses, top colors, etc etc etc, in just this one thread, all with zero relationship to the original question. With all due respect, it makes it nigh near impossible to use a thread as a reference later on. Just saying.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 12:16
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Quiet Right Roger. No more straying .
Will soaking parts like rusty nuts and bolts in Parafin, remove alot of the rust, dirt and grease ?

Posted on: 2011/1/3 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Quote:

Randerson wrote:
At the risk of being a crank, may I again respectfully request that thread questions and replies be at least loosely related to the initial thread topic, in this case: rusty nuts & bolts?

There have been multiple forays into: timing lights,leather dyeing, repro tail lenses, top colors, etc etc etc, in just this one thread, all with zero relationship to the original question. With all due respect, it makes it nigh near impossible to use a thread as a reference later on. Just saying.

I agree with you, and most of these "thinking out loud/daydreaming" type questions could be easily satisfied by using various search engines such as Google Yahoo or whatever instead of clogging up this site with minutia and drivel.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Well Dep5, it maybe Drivel to you, but its not to me. I am sure there is plenty beginners like me, and so hence the drivel like questions. You may be a pro, but I'm not.
Happy New year anyway.

When learning you have to ask the very basic questions to gain the knowledge. I bet most do. Most understand i am learning, and so put up with my simple type questions.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Why not start a project thread? That way, you can cover any topic you like and interested members can continue to help you with your questions in one central thread. As a bonus, other beginners like yourself can follow along (and maybe join in) as develop your knowledge base.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I'll do it again. Go to the library or a bookstore and get a few books on the subject of auto restoration (I and others have recommended titles). Many of your basic questions will be answered and you'll then be prepared to better take advantage of PI members' knowledge. The internet is not a panacea; sometimes your best asset is (still) a good old fashioned book.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 13:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bobt
See User information
there is no subsitute for original fasteners. the tumble method for cleaning works best after they are disassembled. to get them apart try this little trick. mix acetone and automatic transmission fluid 50/50. stir and put in a squirt oil can or plastic spray bottle. you will never waste your money on other penetrants again. after all is disassembled, cleaned and dry, invest in a plating kit available thru a good jewelry supplier. you can plate in zinc, cadmium, nickle and chrome. its not as expensive as ya think.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Thanks Bobt, for great hints. I will for sure try it. Great idea about the Chroming.
Yes I have earmarked that book in Packardinfo book list( Packard Restoration Book ). Looking out for simular in DVD.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 14:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bobt
See User information
i am not endorsing this product except to mention that a friend has one. check out caswell plating supplies. he had beautiful results. now your not trying to do a bumper, but with the detail stuff, it turns out great. and very affordable.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 14:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved