Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 232

Packardbarry, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 1941 One Eighty - curious engine problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
"After engine repairs, I found cranking compression tests to be around 70-80 psi. That's what you get with a 6.45 comp ratio. I assume psi will go up a little after seating the new rings."

Thanks for the post. When I checked compresion in mine, the most I got was around 60 psi with my compression gage (which I am not sure it is correct but I will check some day with another one), and that was pretty even on all cilinders except for cil no 1, with cero, and cil no 3, with around 40. I will start using the car and check again some time in the future, hoping that the detergent oil plus seating of everything inside, will make it rise to 70-80 psi... but I have say that even with the 60 psi I am getting and the engine running like it is now, I am very impressed of it's smoothness and power.

Victor

Posted on: 2011/1/25 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
One interesting piece of information I never mentioned which apparently can explain my "low" compression reading.

I live in a city which is about 1.2 miles high. According to my mechanic, he has done tests at this altitude and also at sea level, and the pressure up here can be around 10 - 15 psi lower... that is, my 60 psi reading could be between 70 - 75 psi at sea level. I don't know how correct and accurate that is, but it surely makes me feel better to know it.

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2011/1/26 13:56
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
Altitude definitely changes compression pressure. My shop is only a few hundred feet above sea level.
If you have less air (lower barometric pressure) to start with, then your final compressed pressure is going to be lower. Your 60 psi sounds healthy enough, but you will be down on power vs. sea level.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is a 3% loss of efficiency for every 1,000 feet above sea level. The loss would be almost 20% at 1.2 miles. I used to live in Santa Fe, NM and at 7,200 feet altitude, we figured at least a 21% loss as compared to sea level.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/28 11:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
ineffabill and JW:

Thanks! Your posts make me feel better, seeing that my 60 psi is about what my engine at this altitude should have or just a tad low. I have been using the car for a couple of days now and will continue to do so for a few weeks, and then I will check on compression and everything again. I will let you know my findings.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 12:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved