Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

moodydavid16, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Radials or Bias ply????
Just popping in
Just popping in

jack\'s 56 patrician
See User information
I know that this is an old much discussed topic but how much of a difference is there with radials over 4 ply's? Is the drive that much better on the highway with my 56 Patrician? Does the suspension help even out the differences? Is there that much pull from the pavement grooves? Is it worth the added cost?

Posted on: 2011/1/21 0:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Radials or Bias ply????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I gave up bias plies years ago. I run radials on my 400. I put a little over three thousand miles on it last year. I also don't think the bias ply tires made today are as good as the ones I was driving on back in the 60's. Radials will hurt you in judging if that is what you want the car for. If you don't care about that I would recommend Diamondback radials.
They are real radials that have a wide whitewall vulcanized on them. Get several opinions and talk to Packard owners who drive their cars a good bit. Then make up your own mind.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 1:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll agree with Randy Bergers advice.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 8:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I orginally chose to put bias-ply collector car tires on my 56 Caribbean. The reason I later switched to radials was due to the short (9000 mile) tread life of the the bias-ply. Having had both on the same car, I can say the handling is perhaps slightly better with the radials in some road conditions but certainly not dramatically so - I always thought the car had excellent road manners even with the bias ply. I picked genuine Good Year Custom Super Cushions as shown below - at the time they were available thru Kelsey Tire though I believe Lucas Tire now offers them as well. Kelsey discounted the price quite significantly due to the short tread life of the bias-ply (Generals, which were OEM on at least some 55/56 Caribbeans) which I had also purchased from him.

If my car was a show car, I'd stick with the bias-ply because the difference in performance was modest, and I wouldn't be driving the car as many miles as I do now.

Attach file:

jpg  (159.10 KB)
177_4d399e1585cb3.jpg 1500X618 px

Posted on: 2011/1/21 9:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Owen for the GoodYear tire post. I see that they are actualy MADE BY Goodyear .

Aproximately how long has GT offered the classic radial?? I was not aware that GT offered them.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 10:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GT? Do you mean GY (GoodYear)? I've had mine on the car about 8 years, +/-. I like the appearance of them very much, especially the traditional GoodYear sculpted pattern and script in the whitewall (I'll take a photo if you're interested), and a more-or-less correct width whitewall (though 1" narrow whites were available in 1956, just barely, and are shown in a few Packard factory photos.) If the tires have a negative, it's that the tread pattern is an agressive one and they are not as silent as the bias-ply tires were, mostly noticeable at low speeds.

PS - I do very much agree with Randy that today's bias-ply collector car tires are NOT comparable to the best of bias-ply tires made by the major makers in the heyday.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 10:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I agree with Randy Berger. My 56 Patrician had older bias ply tires when I bought it, but I changed to Diamondback wide white radials and they were excellent. Unlike Randy I found the handling to be a lot better with the radials. The bias plys tended to wander on secondary roads. I like Diamondback because they use fresh radial tires from major tire manufacturers and vulcanize the wide white rubber to the outside, any width you choose.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Owen,

I would like to see a picture of your GoodYear tire. I'm going to have to get tires after my '55 is up and running and the '51 will need them not long after.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2011/1/21 12:58
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Unlike Randy I found the handling to be a lot better with the radials.
Where did I say the handling wasn't much better??
I think you're confusing me with Owen and I'm much better looking

Posted on: 2011/1/21 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Jim,

Lots of choices are out there in the marketplace! I purchased radials for my '55 400 and I am very happy with them. My wide whites are Michelin X radials. Send me a PM & I'll let you know the specific company through which I purchased them.

Attach file:

jpg  (259.84 KB)
20_4d39d15bcbf49.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (188.42 KB)
20_4d39d16d21d22.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (40.21 KB)
20_4d39d19e254fd.jpg 533X400 px

Posted on: 2011/1/21 13:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved