Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

39Rollson, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Where to buy a new cross shaft.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Wow. Thats a lot of cross shafts. But they all don?t look like mine. The one I have is not conical tapered, or not sa much as the older onesand the shaft seems to be shorter.I?ll take a picture of the shaft tomorrow. Today I have?t benn at my workshop. I don?t know why it?s only the part of the roller that is in contact when steering left that is worn. When I compare the wear pattern of the opposite tooth that is in contact on right turns there is a big difference. On the right side the wear is only on the inside of the tooth, on the left side it is all over the height of the tooth. I can?t explain why. Seems as there has been stress on the roller. I can?t imagine tha parts are moving away from each other when turning left. I?ve checked this on the bench when I disassembled the gearbox. There is also pitting on the surface of the "left turn tooth". The oil I removed from the gearbox was very dirty, sandy and had an olive color. I think it?s the combination of incorrect installation and lack of maintenance.
When I adjust the friction in the high spot position the friction increases on right turns and decreases on left turns until the worm and the roller separate from each other what I?ve check with a feeler gauge. Since I?ve replaced the steering shaft without any success the fault must be the cross shaft.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any 51-54 non power steering box will fit your car, and I would recommend any of them except the one that you have as it is smaller and more lightly built than the others.

Still, that is a strange set of symptoms you describe--at least if I am understanding you. It is of course normal for the spiel to increase quite a bit you turn away from the center position, but the cross shaft should never disengage, that is, turn freely.

When adjusted properly there should be no noticable play (rotation) in the cross shaft. How does it fit its bushings?

In any event, I have about a half dozen suitable gears to choose from, but will not be home til March.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 13:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Hi.
I got a new shaft and installed it yesterday. Now it works. I also found the plugs of the connecting rod were not screwed in completely. According to the shop manual they have to be in all the way.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 11:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved