Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Where to buy a new cross shaft.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Hi folks.
I hope you can help me.
I need an new cross shaft for my 54 Clipper Super. The old one is absolutely worn. I've got an exessive play in the steering gear when I turn left. This is the result of an incorrect installed and misaligned steering gear. The teeth of the cross shaft rollers which are in contact when the steering wheel is turned to the left show exessive wear. The right side is O.K. I tried to get an replacement cross shaft but there is none available on this planet. I got a new steering shaft and installed it today but it changed nothing. When I turn the steering wheel to the left there is a big gap between the steering shaft worn and the cross shaft roller. Even when I turn in the adjusting screw as far as possible the gap will not disappear an in this condition there is too much friction when the steering is centered or turned to ther right.
If one of the pre-owners would have installed the steering gear as described in the manual I would not haver these problems. READ THE FUCKING MANUAL!!!!
The car is a Clipper Super 5411 without power steering. The steering gear P/N is 419921 and the cross shaft P/N 458198.
Does anybody know where to get a replacement cross shaft or if it is possible to repair a worn roller. I tried to get a shaft at Max Merrit, Kanter, Tucson Packards, Rockauto and several parts brokers. No succsess.
Please help me.
Ulrich.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 11:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Where to buy a new cross shaft.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If one of the pre-owners would have installed the steering gear as described in the manual I would not haver these problems. READ THE F.....G MANUAL!!!! (Edited to delete profanity).

Ah, if only! Lot's of butchers and idiots out there.

You might try Lares Manufacturing as a last resort, they are the largest rebuilder by far of vintage steering gear and associated items. I don't believe they sell parts but they could probably correctly rebuild yours.

PS - another point to consider in steering gear boxes. When they begin to leak gear oil because of leaking seals, there are those fools who change to grease in the box. As soon as the gear turns, the grease channels away from the surfaces and in time the box is trash. If the gearbox leaks gear oil, fix it!

Posted on: 2011/1/23 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Ulrich,

A few possible part sources:

http://www.powersteering.com/

http://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-454.html#15

15.310 Steering gear box assembly, good used. (New Inquire) Advise with or
without power steering $317.00
15.318 Steering gear box cross shaft $210.00
15.320 Cross shaft bushings, pair $46.00
15.321 Pitman arm, manual steering. $185.00
15.321 Pitman arm, for power steering. good used only. $260.00
15.3225 Cross shaft oil seal $23.00
15.329 Shaft and worm assembly $231.00
15.3295 Upper bearing $48.00
15.3305 Upper oil seal $25.00
15.3315 Steering gear box bearing, lower race $49.00
15.3316 Steering gear box bearing, lower cone $49.00

Adolf Krivda at 215 745 1327 - steering box in the PA, U.S.A area. He has seals & parts + can machine rare parts that can't be found. Turnaround is about 1-1 1/2 weeks.
He used to work for General Motors Saganaw building these boxes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-Packard-Steering-Box-Pitman-Arm-/230351246192?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a2011370

http://www.packardpartsonline.com/steering.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/2139262432.html

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2011/1/23 12:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Yes there are a lot of idiots out there. I can tell you. I've got a Continental Mark III Coupe. The ball joints of the front end are completely worn but the pre owner did not care. It`s not possible to drive the car, it`s dangerous. Due to the worn ball joints the front wheels tilt in and out. Whe I drove the car to my home town I almost lost control over the car several times when the wheels tilted although I was going only 40 MPH on a straight highway. One of the front springs is cracked and for that reason one the pre owner put a tapered piece of metal into the spring.
Lares manufacturing seems to be a good idea but it takes some time to ship the shaft to them, repair it and get it back because I live in Germany. Here you have to bring your car to a technical survey in a 2 year peroid. If you fail the survey you are not allowed to drive the car anymore until all discrepancies have been fixed. I would not care about the play in the steering gear. It happens if you turn the steering wheel 2 turns to the left. You never use these steering angles when driving on a road but when you reach this certain point of deflection the gap is so much that is feels as if the wheel is loose.
Maybe I find a company in Europe that can repair my cross shat but this will be much more expensive than a replacement part.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 12:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If one of the pre-owners would have installed the steering gear as described in the manual

You are both so right but sadly, there are a lot of people who cant read, won't read, or comprehend if they do read.

Rather than just a cross shaft since that appears to be in short supply, how much more difficult would it be to just find and replace a complete box. Surely there are some parts cars with good boxes that probably would be reasonably priced and more available.

The fill plug location and slight ratio change in the one you have appears to be the main difference but aside from that, it would appear they optionally had the same unit 419922 used on the 51-53 junior chassis available on your car. There are probably lots of those out there.

Of course, you do have the unknown of maybe that owner not reading either and getting a box to Germany might be more expensive than a repair.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 12:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Does Mike Dulinski in Minnesota part out '54 models? I know he has parted out a lot of '55-'56s. AFAIK Packard used Gemmer steering boxes (about two blocks west of EGB) and perhaps a '55 box will work for a '54?

Posted on: 2011/1/23 13:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Yes that's what I`m thinking about. If a 419922 steering gear would fit on my car I can also install this one. I don't know the difference between a 419921 and a 419922 steering gear. They all look the same, exept the filler plug location. Mine has the filler plug in the case but if the 419922 fits it will make no diffderence. I found out that it is no problem to get a steering gear for a power steering but I have a conventional steering. I thought about installing a powers steering but this may be very expensive.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is what I see as the difference. Junior XX01 chassis 51-3 vs the same in 54 which since different spec, am taking to be the one you have. Same pitman arm 51-4 so should be a direct swap.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.75 KB)
209_4d3c720044987.jpg 280X208 px

jpg  (8.73 KB)
209_4d3c720967d97.jpg 254X207 px

Posted on: 2011/1/23 13:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Thanx.
Thats a lot of parts sources and evrything is cheaper than repairing it in Germany. Here you have a lot of skilled companies but this will be my ruin. When I've been searchiong for a pirr of front springs for my Lincoln the german vendors called 500;- ? per pair. Now i have ordered the spring from the USA and they want 200;- US $ per pair. Even with shipping, VAT and taxes it is much more cheaper. When the german vendor told me the price I ask if the installation is included. He did not laugh.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 13:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
That's all? There is no more difference between the steering gears?
It is just the ratio that has changed. But I think this is negligible. I should try to get this gear. Maybe it easier to get.
Thankx

Posted on: 2011/1/23 13:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved