Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need Opinion On LED Tailights
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

cdorsey
See User information
This thread may be better suited for the modification section of this forum but I thought I would start here. Has anyone used LED taillights in their cars? What were your results and would you recommend them. My main interest is in brighter lights/turn signals as well as reduced draw on the system. I have looked at the ones from highspeedmotors.com and they seem like they would throw off the most all around light. These would be going in a 1800 series. Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2011/3/25 9:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Need Opinion On LED Tailights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't tried any but there is a nice FAQ on some of the advantages, disadvantages and things to consider on converting to LED bulbs herehttp://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fcarbulb-notes.htm

Posted on: 2011/3/25 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
I've played with those LEDs a bit and am feeling the next gen will be about right. So far, I've been disappointed by the hotspots rather than the broad glow across the lens of the car with you get with incandescents. I did go with Red over White and that was brighter but I'd suggest trying those LED bulbs that emit light in all directions to take advantage of the car's lamp's own reflector. Those LEDs have pretty darned focused beams.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:00
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Did you actually convert your car to LEDs?

If you did, was it a six or twelve volt?

If six, was positive ground a problem?

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:55
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
This was a '49 Nash and I actually used LEDs for Stop / Tail and Incandescents for Turn. The LEDs are available easily in 12V but, if you look around, you can find them in 6V as well and in both Pos or Neg ground... gotta make sure you order the right configuration for your car. You should be able to find a supplier online but let me know if you need a link or two.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 14:03
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I've had trouble coming up with the 6v pos variety. If you have some links I'll be happy to shop them.

Thanks very much.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 14:14
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mr. DeMille
See User information
In my '36 120b I use the LEDs I purchased from highspeedmotors.com for rear stop and tail lights. My turn signals use the rear LED stop lights and front incandescent fog lights.

The use of incandescent lights in the turn signal circuit eliminates the need for an electronic flasher unit that may be required for the LEDs to flash at the correct rate.

The LEDs are much brighter than the halogen incandescent bulbs I was using.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
try any one of the Model A suppliers for 6 volt LED lights. Burts in Denver is a good one, also Mac's. They handle several versions.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 16:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

cdorsey
See User information
The bulbs from highspeedmotors.com are available in 6V and 12V, Pos or Neg ground. I am in hopes of swapping some in next month. I'll let you know how I make out.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 19:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved