Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Optima 6V Battery Tray Project
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Just thought I'd share my latest success: The tray on my 22nd Series was rusting pretty badly so I came across a sharp billet mount for the Optima 6V batteries from Speedway for $60 and mounted it to a pine shelf that I mounted where the original battery sat. I ripped a notch in the underside of the pine to lock into the lip of the stock battery tray and the whole thing is kinda rough looking but quite stable. Now I just need to track down my current drain and remove that quick disconnect...

Attach file:

jpg  (13.79 KB)
2646_4d8cdccfc7dce.jpg 320X239 px

jpg  (14.42 KB)
2646_4d8cdcdb205c2.jpg 320X239 px

jpg  (14.79 KB)
2646_4d8cdce52cc93.jpg 320X239 px

jpg  (14.37 KB)
2646_4d8cdcedb69c4.jpg 320X239 px

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:20
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: Optima 6V Battery Tray Project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A nice project that might interest those that can find the Optimas readily on a shelf but not the long case batteries as conveniently.

Two somewhat notorious current leaks are the obvious trunk light if you have that option and another is a brake light switch with a high resistance. That one is sneaky--enough resistance to leak current and discharge over a few days but too much to provide enough current to light the bulbs bright enough to see.

Another that has been mentioned is a sticking regulator current relay--although if that sticks, usually there are other more serious symptoms such as a hot generator or wiring and fairly rapid discharge.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Optima 6V Battery Tray Project
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Thanks for the tips Howard. I actually did have a faulty brake switch and got all happy about licking that problem... until coming back after a few days to another weak battery. No trunk light but hopefully I'll find time soon to do some systematic testing. Got a neat tool to break in when I do and it's designed for just that kind of work:

PowerProbe II

I'm not completely sure it'll work properly on a 6V system but I'm hoping...

Posted on: 2011/3/25 13:57
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved