Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 232

TxGoat, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

METAL DIECAST SCALE MODELS
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GREEN-ENGINE-BLOCK
See User information
To the scale-model collectors: Of Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint, which of the two do you prefer more? Which are your favorite models? Any other brands that you like? what size do you like? I prefer the 1/32 and the 1/24 size models. Danbury Mint has more detailed models, but they dont have great quality control. They have a new 1936 dual cowl phaeton that came out this year; At least one of the four cowl window-panes are prone to come loose. On mine, that I bought on ebay from another collector, The cowl window FRAME came unhinged. ....I guess though, something will break off on any model from any company. Franklin Mint gives much better car-info paperwork with their models! ....I bought the Danbury Mint 1958 Packard Hawk. Beautiful model. Except the car was in the styrofoam box so tight that the front bumper broke off. I had to use some super glue and glue it back on. some minor glue residue remains on the drivers-side door. otherwise still a nice model. Another plus for Franklin Mint is their styrofoam box is better than the Danbury Mint Styrofoam box. My Hawk would not have had a broken-off bumper if it was in a box like the frankin mint styrofoam shells. Whereas they use a three-piece box, with collapsing sides. ...there are models from a company called Signature. I dont like the stuff from Signature. I think Signature is crap.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 15:43
 Top  Print   

Re: METAL DIECAST SCALE MODELS
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Franklin used to have shopping mall stores and would pick up one occasionally when I traveled & came across a store. Fairly nice. Have 1:43 and 1:24 in those. Most of my models are postwars. Several unknown mfgs, no Danburys and just one Signature. Don't remember where that came from but since it is made in China, probably a local store and might also explain the quality or lack thereof you find. I've never taken it out of the display box to examine that carefully. My favorite of all is a 56 Predictor made in England and was bought from Sinclair a few years ago.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Predictor is a very exclusive and expensive model. Perhaps rightfully so. They do not appear very often.
I have a 55 Caribbean from Fairfield that a friend bought for me. I bought the Danbury 56 Caribbean convertible because it was black and no one models the 56 Packards much.
I bought a dozen Anson Packards because they were 1/27th scale which is very close to Standard gauge trains which I collect. I also have several Buby 56 Packards that I got for around $10.00 a piece. I am modifying one of them to make a 56 400. I have a Signature model of a 1930 Packard - it looks good on the train layout.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 21:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GREEN-ENGINE-BLOCK
See User information
true, the cheap models still look good on a train layout. ...fyi: "code 3" fire engines came out with a series called "diamond plate." made in china, but holy crap these are some of the nicest model vehicles Ive ever seen. "diamond plate" series are 1/32 scale, and every detail is there! not too many movable/articulating parts, but beautiful detail. they put lots of great detail inside the cab as well. the first models in 1998 didnt have opening doors, but subsequent models had opening doors.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 9:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved