Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 219

37Blanche, Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48 49 50 Tail Lights & Directionals
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
I have pulled the Wire Harness from a '50 Packard, and am building a new Harness based on the '50 for a '48. The one major difference is the Brake Lights and Directional Lights.

On the '50, there is only one bulb for both, while on the '48 there are 2 (1 for the Rear Lights/Brakes, and the other for the Directionals).

The '48 Harness has a wire that goes from the Stoplight Switch directly to the Bulbs.

In the '50 Harness, the wire from the Stoplight Switch goes to the 6-pin Direction Signal Switch Plug in the Steering Column. Yes, I pulled the Steering Column out of the '50 to place into the '48 as well.

I need to make the '50 Harness work for the '48 duel bulb set-up.

What I was thinking is that I would reroute the wire going to the 6-pin Direction Signal Switch Plug in the Steering Column and route it directly to the bulbs like the '48 had it, but I have no idea if this is the right thing to do since I have no idea wat this wire does up in the column.

Can I do this or is there another way?

Thank you very much.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 19:50
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 49 50 Tail Lights & Directionals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an extraction of the turn signal wiring I made. Wire colors may deviate slightly but you can get an idea of what you have and connections in the switch. You should be able to run the wire directly from the brake switch to the stop light filaments and then keep the 50 switch routed to flash the turn signal bulbs.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/Turn%20Signal%20Extraction.pdf

Posted on: 2011/4/9 20:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
This is perfect. Thanks!!!!

Posted on: 2011/4/10 15:43
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
hi there..my break lights have stopped turning on. This also means I cannot take my car out of park without using the override switch. After researching this issue, I purchased a new stop light switch (FAE). I installed the new switch today and I'm still having the same issues!

There is a "button" at the end of the switch (controls cruise control, right?) - well, if I use my finger to press that "button" in and then quickly release it, it pops and the lights will work until I suppress the break back onto it. I'm thinking it might be something electrical wiring of stop light switch... Has anyone heard of this issue??? Any solutions?

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved