Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Power to the People (Part 3)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Properly fixed, reliability shouldn't be an issue, as I said before I've not touched by O-D regulator in 48 years of driving and that mirrors the experience of most others with the O-D system. Note made about the 9th series unit.

I'll ask around about what others have done - don't get exasperated!

No thanks to the granny accomodations, but if you want to ship the car to me for a few years for me to sort it out, that'd be a welcomed offer. In the meantime, get a battery charger if you don't have one, charge it up, and enjoy driving - just keep to less than 150 miles at a time or so, without headlamps.

PS - just in case you run into some O-D cutout/voltage controls, the O-D number is stamped on the base. Numbers which will work on your car and their original applications are:

#20530 - 826/833/840/845
900/901/902/903/904

#21262 - 1001/1002/1003/1004
1100/1101/1102/1103/1104/1105
1200/1201/1202/1203/1204/1205

Until about 18 months ago NAPA sold a replacement for either of these O-D numbers. They were selling for about $38 and were NAPA/Echlin #VR-755 should you come across one. When word got out that NAPA was discontinuing them, they sold out like hotcakes and I'd bet MANY owners of these vintage cars bought as many as they could get their hands on. You might try advertising for one.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try a Delco Remy model No. 1118308 or 1118291.
It has current/volt regulation with a reversed amperage cutout. Designed for 3hree brsh generators with external grounded field. Temperature compesator for cold vs hot temperature operation.

Fits Ferguson TO-20 and TO 30 tractors (NOT TE's w/Lucas) They are probably about $15 US + shipping on eBay or at a local dealer. Should be several MF dealers there in the UK. Proabably many other applications too but MF is the only model #'s i have at hand.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 20:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
kts68 recently conducted an on the car test proving that hte generator works.

If failure to find a suitable VR, then just repeat the test wireing circuit but routed to the inside of the car to a switch and voltmeter to monitor the battery. Switch the generator off and on at will from inside of the car while u drive and monitor the battery condition. Shouldn;t be too difficult to do.

I don't for sure, but i would be fairly confident that the Ferguson TO-20 VR should work.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 21:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Am I missing something? I thought 3 brush generators used a simple cutout to prevent battery discharge and relied on adjustment to the 3d brush to control charge rate?

Posted on: 2011/4/14 9:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, you're not really missing anything; but after the 6th series the cutout also included a primitive control. But current output (amperage) adjustment was primarily via the 3rd brush.

See this unit from an Owen-Dyneto CD-865.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.14 KB)
177_4da70a553319f.jpg 750X721 px

Posted on: 2011/4/14 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Try this:

http://atwaterkentmfg.com/voltage_regulators.htm

Just as a caution, there have been some negative comments about this company - I have no personal experience with them and there may be nothing to it, but my confidence might be a little higher if they could spell Dyneto correctly. The text accompanying the picture says that appearances vary depending on the particular application.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.34 KB)
177_4da76171e33e8.jpg 408X406 px

Posted on: 2011/4/14 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So what's the verdict???? What kind of regulator have u found to work???

Posted on: 2011/4/24 16:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved