Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 192

todd landis, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lock removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Clearly this is National Bozo Week.

Last year I had door lock issues. Took my car to the local lock "Experts" who said that I had to remove the handle from the car, then they would generously apply their world class expertise and unparalleled parts sources to provide me with better than new locks, keyed as I desired.

They came out and lubed the locks (I was in the car) and assured me that they knew my car......

So today I took a door handle in so I would at least have one reliable door lock.

I'll bet you knew it wasn't going to that simple.

They can't take the lock out of the handle because (here's a big surprise) they don't have a lock removal kit. But if I bring in the cylinder they can surely make it better than new.

Then, no doubt to reassure me that I was dealing with experts, they pointed out that the handle was off an old car. I stood there in awa.

Do they think people run loose with door handles they want repaired with no clue about what the handle is?

Would anyone like to start an office pool on the liklihood of that happening before hell freezes over?

Somewhere I have seen a closeup plate/drawing of how to extract the lock. I went through the plates in the parts manual and the service manual and can't find it.

I'd really appreciate being reunited with the drawing/image...

And thank you for listening patiently to my rant.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 12:29
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Lock removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is what I posted in Oct if it's the one you mean.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=62620#forumpost62620

Note the 3rd & 4th pict down on left with the cylinder and bar attached. If the cylinder has to come out of the housing, the pin has to remove from bar to do that. It's a press on or very tight fitting pin and the ears or tabs on the housing holding the pin are potmetal and will break very easily. The person that removes it will need to support the pot metal well and cross fingers, toes, eyes and anything else to try and prevent breaking them off.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved