Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Bits of brass in a 32 900 differential
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave C,

Yes, I have talked to George. He is supplying the other bearings. He does not have a source for the rear pinion gear bearing.

Dave (model901),

I have thought about the sleeving thing. Thanks tons for passing along the bearing references. There are also a few companies around that will make small lots of bearings. I need to check on capabilities and prices. I think it is likely that I am not the only one to have this problem.

Do any of you have any thoughts on why the gears won't turn in the differential housing?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/4/24 11:10
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Tom,

I've used the sleeve option on other ball bearing before when a source was not available. I try to use a slightly smaller bearing so I don't have to modify the original casting. If the correct bearing is found, or made in the future it can be put back in.

As long as the dynamic axial and radial load rating is equal or better than the original bearing you have, you should not have a problem.

Did you mark the location of the spider X that is captured between the two housings? This is the part the four spider gears fit on.

Also the two differential halves that capture the spider should have been marked so they would be re-assembled in the same location. If you didn't you may want to try different orientations to correct the bind in the spider gears.

I don't think excess torque is you problem. Try removing all the spider gears and reassembling them one at a time. You don't need to full torque all the nuts. Check for free play as you assemble each gear and tighten, then loosen and add another in.

The side gears the spiders mesh with, the ones the axle shafts fit into, should have been marked and re-installed in the same place they were originally.

Any dirt, chips, etc. between these side gears will cause a bind in the spider gears because it will force the side gears against the spiders.

I wouldn't worry about the mark on the I.D. bore of one of the spiders, as long as it is not a crack. These gears only turn at slow speeds to compensate for the difference in revolutions between the rt. and lft. wheels.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2011/4/24 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

I did mark the housings, but I did not mark the spider or the spider gears. I will try to re-orient the spider itself from the photo. As for the gears, hmm, there are only 24 possible combinations. Aaarg.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/4/24 15:08
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Tom,

When I took mine apart I just marked the orientation of the two housings and the X the spider gears ride on.

I do remember the gears were snug after re-assemble, not free enough to turn by pushing on them by hand, but free enough to be rotated by holding one axle shaft and turning the other, by hand.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2011/4/24 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Tom,

It may help to go CSI on the carrier.

I don't know if it's the same carrier you're working on now, but on the pictures you have at the Packard Paddock, I can see some marks on each side of the carrier that could be used to establish a pre-teardown orientation.

If it's a different carrier maybe you have some pictures of the current carrier you can analyze.

Regards,

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (32.44 KB)
1584_4db488ab1b960.jpg 985X604 px

Posted on: 2011/4/24 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

The orientation of the carrier is easy. It was already marked, see below. But, I did not mark the orientation of the spider in the carrier. There are some distinct scratches that I can see on the gears and maybe the spider, so that may help.

All the pictures on the paddock website are from the 1930. I haven't updated the site in a long time, so there are no photos of the 32. One more thing I really need to get done.

Again, thank you Dave and Dave for your help and patience. I will let y'all know if I figure it out.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (44.89 KB)
333_4db48c94ba697.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (148.04 KB)
333_4db48cb434f79.jpg 952X1110 px

jpg  (121.35 KB)
333_4db48ccda47f4.jpg 1160X1245 px

Posted on: 2011/4/24 15:51
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Those Angleset differentials are so robust and overdesigned, I'd guess they'd outlast 5 engine rebuilds. I'd bet this one either ran low on lubricant or didn't have the lubricant changed regularly. Was neglect present in other aspects of the same car?

Posted on: 2011/4/24 17:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
I've seen new spider gears that had similar "scratches" on them. It's really just sloppy (non-critical) machining. The ring & pinion are high precision gears, but as stated the side & spider gears turn much slower & so they weren't made "to look as pretty". Don't worry about it.

Posted on: 2011/4/25 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Success! Using photos of the spider and spider gears taken during disassembly, I was able to figure out the original arrangement of gears and spider in the carrier. Putting everything back together in this arrangement solved the problem! The planetary gear system now spins quite easily in the carrier!

Dave and ineffabill,

I highlighted the scratches in the gears to show the sorts of marks that might let me deduce how the gears were originally placed in the carrier, not because I am worried about them.

Thank you for your wonderful assistance.

Tom

p.s. I have not safety wired the fasteners yet. I will next time in the garage.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.96 KB)
333_4db6d6e228ece.jpg 640X545 px

Posted on: 2011/4/26 9:29
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

newsong15
See User information
Has anyone been able to locate the SKF I-70268 to replace the differential pinion bear (rear) on the 1932 900 or a satisfactory work around?

Posted on: 2023/10/24 13:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved