Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Packard in the New York Times
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Autobahn total lenght about 8K miles.
Queens 401 total length about 600 miles.
Us Interstate total length about 46K miles.

I rest my case.

By the way, according to Wiki the posted speed limit on the 401 is 62 mph.

I didn't bother to check Chinas systems.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 8:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's been interesting, starting out with a couple of newspaper articles on remaining pieces of Packard corporate real estate and ending up with the price of extracting crude oil.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind - I've taken enough posts of others off-track.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Rusty I don't think the worlds oil reserves are empty(multiplied studies have proofed the opposite), its not about that and has never been about oil shortage. Read Lindsey Williams book: The energy Non-crisis.
And 5 USD a gallon? Well that is only going to be the start I belive.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 8:15
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is most impressive is the map of Germanys Autobahn. It appears to have very close access to all areas of the country.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 8:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Back to the hijacked subject. A couple of interesting charts on gasoline prices.

Average prices on the red one and clicking on the blue button changes it to percentage of income spent--although I didn't see a qualifier as to how that's figured.

http://money.cnn.com/news/storysupplement/economy/gas_prices_by_state/?hpt=T2

Posted on: 2011/4/29 11:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Looks like its time to start restoring Stanley Steamers.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I think it was CBS news reported a couple of nites ago that "$1 increase in gasoline/gal at the pump costs the average American an extra $1K/year."

SO that's 1000 gallons/year that the "average american" uses. Assuming a 20 mpg auto thats 20K miles/yr which is about 52 miles/DAY.

Now, i'd like to know why anyone needs to drive 52 miles/day EVERYDAY for anything???? Everyone averages 26 miles one way from work????? I don;t think so.

Restaraunts packed from 10 am to 8pm 7 days a week, Walmart parking lot looks like Christmas 24-7 and the schools crying for funding can run school buses and giant flood lites for some dip-shit ball games. I mean that list goes on and on and on. And this is one of the lowest income states in the US.

I'm surprised gasoline is'nt the price of whiskey at $25 - $50 per gallon.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks like its time to start restoring Stanley Steamers.

I get the point, but the steamers burned copious amounts of kerosene (or was it naphtha or some other petroleum fuel) to make steam, all the excess of which was wasted when the trip was finished. Perhaps JHH who has an affection for steam will come along with some idea of what a Stanley did in terms of miles per gallon of kersene. It would be interesting data to have. And, have you prices kersene lately?

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe use all of those left over fuel rods from the Japanese nuclear plant to boil the water.

I'm guessing that one microtome slice of just one of those rods would be enuf to power a car for what, maybe a 500 years??

Posted on: 2011/4/29 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
The Finnish Built Wood burning El Camino:

Juhas Sipil?'s 1987 El Camino, affectionately dubbed "El Kamina" (The Stove), features a very steampunk-like woodgas generator taking up about half of the truckbed. El Kamina's 400 Chevy engine can take the 4,400 pound truck about 125 miles on 175 pounds of biomass, or about 1.4 pounds of biomass-per-mile. The truck itself can carry enough fuel for around 800 total miles of travel.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wZdPkrghUZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2011/4/29 15:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved