Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 56 Patrician Delco Remy Starter Solenoid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Excellent point!! I completely missed that little problem. Thanks for catching it..

Posted on: 2011/4/30 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I have reassembled the starter motor solenoid without the green lead terminal from the Ballast Resistor. I rotated the main contactors to a fresh surface, except for the disc contact, which is non-rotatable. I then actuated the starter motor with the ignition key. I checked the ballast resistor voltage during cranking and expected to find NO voltage as I had expected that normal IGN Switch voltage to the Ballast would be switched out during cranking, to allow Battery voltage rather than Ballast resistor voltage to be supplied to the coil from the R terminal on the solenoid.
To my surprise IGN Switch voltage is still provided to the Ballast Resistor during cranking and this allows about 8V to be supplied to the coil during cranking. It is probably not as good as having the full Battery voltage available from the green lead terminal however it starts up fine with a big fat daylight spark. My battery is a bit over 4 years old and is about 80% State Of Health at 100% State Of Charge at 450 Cranking Amps. We are about to enter winter so this will test the system.
This will keep me going until I am able to recondition a correctly configured starter Solenoid. Best Regards and thanks for the friendly advice. Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 6:39
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Oooh, Excellent point Ross! Thanks for pointing that out. It also appears that the picture on NAPA's website does indeed show a hole for the 4th terminal. I've never seen such a critter, but there it is! That should be a good way for oil to get in there and cause troubles for those who don't use it.
Jason
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2011/5/1 17:58
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Took O_D's advice and ordered the STK2 which was received today.

Just wanted to confirm that it is the correct solenoid repair kit and back does have the extra contact. The solenoid coil connection takes the extra hole.

Not sure of the availability or stocking process as local store said they did not stock them at the warehouse and that particular store seemed reluctant to order one. I just went ahead and ordered online.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 17:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Just a follow up on the repairs using a new Solenoid ST 100 and repair kit STK-2, as recommended by the Encyclopedic Owen Dyneto, also to correct some mis-information which I posted with regard to not having to use the "R" terminal on the Solenoid.
Firstly, the new solenoid and repair kit organised by Gary Osko, "The Flackmaster" and Noel Shorter from NAPA worked a treat and the hardware is fully operational, with the original solenoid now repaired.
I posted that it was no problem to start the vehicle with the ballast resistor still part of the starter circuit, that is when the starter solenoid contactor does not bypass the ballast resistor during starting. Well, I wish to withdraw this statement as it is in fact very difficult to start the engine without the by-passing of the ballast resistor from the starting circuit. The "R" terminal connection from the solenoid is definitely required. Sorry for the bad advice and thanks for the rescue action from some great guys in the US and OZ . Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/9/10 7:20
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved