Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Proper psi at carburator
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
The "piece of junk" regulator is the same chrome, round one pictured a couple of times in this thread. They are available at O'Reillys, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. and seem to be designed for a person to just waste money, time, and effort. I'm in the process of slowly, surely, and carefully, re-doing all of the things that were done wrong on my car previous to my owning her. I have no plans on changing her from six to twelve volt, I don't want electronic ignition, and no, I DON'T like dealing with the electric pump. Hopefully, sometime soon, I'll be able to get a rebuild kit from Fred and set her back the way she was originally. For the now, at least my car is driveable, and I enjoy it. If that annoys someone because it has an electric pump, TOUGH. She's mine, and that's good enough for me. I'm not ranting, but it puts a burr under my saddle when "purists" start hacking on others. Maybe its all that was available at the time, maybe there are monetary (or worse, marriage)considerations, who knows. "To each, their own" seems to be a good cliche' to follow...

Thanks again all!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/5/5 21:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If that annoys someone because it has an electric pump, TOUGH

Scottie: I hope you didn't interpret my comments as a "rant'; if so my apologies as they weren't meant as such. I can certainly understand and appreciate such things as unavailable parts, broken or warped castings, wanting to urgently get a car on the road, budget limitations, and the like. So no, an electric pump doesn't really annoy me as long as the reason isn't because someone thinks that mechanical pumps can't perform their job and need to be replaced just because they're "old technology". I always thought one of the joys of the old car hobby was making the effort to understand and appreciate the technology of the era.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I can't imagine having an older vehicle such as ours without the benefit of sites like this. I live in a total black hole when it comes to parts. I don't even know if my mechanical is rebuildable. It is still mounted on the engine, but I want to enjoy driving my babe a bit more before I pull the pump and check it. Owen, the amount of knowledge that you posses is amazing, and I thank you for sharing it as freely as you do. No harm, no foul! One of the reasons that I purchased my Polly is just because of her "old technology"! I'm tired of dealing with computers on cars, bugger that. With these cars, if you get stuck on the side of the road, five minutes later, either you've fixed the problem or at least have a damn good idea what's broken. New cars? Ha! New technology? Bah!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/5/6 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't even know if my mechanical is rebuildable.

Scottie, you could always contact a good rebuilder like Gould Rebuilders or Terrill, and ask them for a quote to rebuild. If it's not rebuildable, they'll tell you and may even have extra core parts. Just about a month ago a friend had a double action AC pump rebuilt by Gould, cost was $97 + shipping. I suspect a single action pump would be a bit less.

Arthur Gould Rebuilders
5R Main Street
Kings Park, NY 11754
631-269-0093

Posted on: 2011/5/6 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Thanks again, Owen! By the way, you wouldn't happen to know if they have a website, would you? OOPS! Never mind, I just found it. Thanks anyway...

Posted on: 2011/5/6 11:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fuel pump are easy to rebuild. I did mine, and I have 10 thumbs. So that means anyone can do it. There is an article here on the website that goes through the process step by step.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved