Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Installing a R11 overdrive in my 1948.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Is it worth the effort changing the standard three speed to overdrive. If I find one how do I determine it will fit the existing vehicle. My vehicle is a 2262 with the 288 engine, standard 3 speed transmission no overdrive.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 6:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Installing a R11 overdrive in my 1948.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
If you do a fair amount of driving on highways and want better gas mileage (who doesn't?)an overdrive transmission is a very good idea. With a numerically higher differential ratio already in the car you will reduce engine speed by about 35% at any given speed with the trans in overdrive. If you can locate an R-11 unit with transmission from a 1948-1954 Packard doner car with the cable, wiring harnesses, relay, shorter driveshaft, overdrive to crossmember support etc. that would be your best bet. If all you find is the overdrive unit without the necessary extras it will be a far more difficult job to locate the individual pieces but over time can be done. If you use the car for other than city driving it will be worth the time and effort in my opinion. I have R-9 in my '47 Super Clipper and cruising at highway speeds seems effortless. I am sure others with more experience in doing this conversion will chime in.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 8:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks for the info I went ahead and bought the R11 overdrive transmission. Now I need to located the other parts I need like the relay, switches and cable. If anyone knows of where these can be found I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Well your on your way. Did you get the cable and mounting bracket? Unless you are concerned about authenticity and depending upon your mechanical skills I am pretty confident you can fabricate your own wire harness and switches. I haven't personally done it but a friend of mine installed an R-11 in a 1941 Ford without the factory relay etc. He mounted a switch under the dash to enegize the solenoid.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:13

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the R11, I expect all can be had from the vendors--Max or Fred. For the Packard lockout cable, they are probably the only option. There is an aftermarket company which has put the more common parts such as relay and kickdown switch in repro. These units were used by almost all mfgs and those general items should also fit our uses but might look a tad different.http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html As to the relay, a common 6v Bosch VW headlight relay will work although obviously not in looks.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Sorry to say the lock out cable nor the kick switch or OD relay were there. I would like to stay original. It may take awhile to find the other items.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks I'll check out fifth avenue.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the loom, might be worth a call or check out Y n Zhttp://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/. I don't remember if the OD was part of the main loom or not but they do have a listing for a loom for R11 for $178. If it is a totally separate loom, then maybe an option.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
If want to stay authentic and that would be my choice Rhode Island Wire probably has the correct wire harness also. They did for my R-9 which has the two pole Electromatic clutch governor.
DennyZ who is a regular member here installed an R-11 overdrive in a '41 Clipper. I think a while back perhaps you can contact him about the procedure and he may have parts left over. He would be an excellent source of information.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=564
Be sure to check out his excellent website as it has a great deal of helpful information on the overdrive and his installation!

Posted on: 2011/5/17 16:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks for sharing I appreciate it I will try and get in touch with DennyZ. I have bought from Rhode Island Wire before and found them to be very helpful and reasonable in their prices. Thanks again for reminding me about Rhode Island Wire.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 20:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved