Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 222

humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, Bob J, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

my newest big bad idea
Just popping in
Just popping in

urbanpirate
See User information
Please don't burn me at the stake just yet.

After years of looking at the packard plant, I have had another bad idea that just might work. I am thinking of building a clone of a (probably)1930's packard 120. The plan is to use the original dimensions, body design and interior style but recreate them using all lightweight modern materials. The reason is to created the most overstated electric car possible.

I suppose some questions are in order.

can it be done?
can it be done at home?
am I guano loco? (yes)
would it be worth making this monster a convertable?
does anyone have or know someone who has a 30's packard near detroit that might let me make molds of body pannels?

Posted on: 2011/5/17 19:50
 Top  Print   

Re: my newest big bad idea
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
You mean it would be a more overstated electric car than this?

Attach file:

jpg  (32.15 KB)
33_4dd3235b28146.jpg 525X291 px

Posted on: 2011/5/17 20:39
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Hell i'd rather start with an abandoned 30's Packard than scratch, especially working with hand tools.

Make it a hybrid, get some kind of diesel 4 cyl motor hooked to a generator, to a bank of batteries, then to the electric motor.

You'll need tons of batteries, most efficient per pound would be putting a ton of laptop batteries in a bank.

Then you need a control system to decide if you need the charging generator running or not.

This seems like a lot of work

Posted on: 2011/5/18 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
tooling cost? DOT compliance?

Posted on: 2011/5/18 14:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

urbanpirate
See User information
i'm sure it will cost a ton and take me a few years to get it together, particularly with my inability to work on less than 12 things at once.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I dont think you would save any significant weight by going to fibreglass panels and new powertrain. New cars are heavier than you might think, and old cars are lighter than they look.

A 1937 six cylinder 110 weighs 3140 to3310 depending on body style. The 120, about 200 lbs more.

You could probably take nearly 1000 pounds out of the 110 by discarding the original engine, transmission, clutch radiator and driveshaft. More for the 12O

Compare this to such modern "lightweights" as Toyota Corolla, 2700 to 3000 lbs depending on model, or Toyota Avalon at 3700.

The Packard has the additional advantage that it needs no power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning, climate control or even heater.No automatic transmission.

These power sapping accessories are murder to adapt to an electric car.

The one advantage the new cars have is that they slip through the air with better streamlining. But if we are talking about a car that will do all its driving on city or suburban streets and never go over 5O this is a meaningless advantage.

In other words, I would way rather adapt a mid 30s Packard to electric, than any comparable modern car. It would be far easier and far better.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 18:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved