Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 181

Tobs, BigKev, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Trans fluid change
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
To add to Owen_Dyneto's excellent post: when you hammer out the distortions to the mating surface of the pan, don't use the hammer as though you are trying to pound nails onto wood--use the hammer in an oval pattern of blows so that the hammer contacts the work as it reaches the bottom of the "O" oval and continues upward to continue this oval pattern. Why? because the type of hammer blows that one uses to pound in nails will displace the metal, making the area you are hammering thinner.

Let the gasket do what the gasket is designed to do, don't rely on tubes O'goo to make up for previous sins.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Obviously you arnt going to put Ten tons of the stuff(RTV) on the gasket but that cork gasket will not get much squeze on it.Straight surfaces or not.ANY over torque on it and you are done start over.Make or buy a new gasket.(tough out of cork.)Dont get me wrong i am no fan of RVT,However when I have a expert tell me it is ok, and other experts say no. this gets confusing.It is specifyed 48 hour cure time.If any of the cork gets in there it wont do much good either.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Bowman:

Given you have no obvious problems I would leave things alone except that the Packard manual does recommend periodic fluid changes - 25000 miles.

Next question is - who knows what is in your transmission anyway.

Dexron contains friction modifiers that are of no benefit to Ultramatic. Type F will perform differently that Dexron in identical hyraulic systems from an engineering standpoint. Again this should not affect Ultramatic.

Thus Type F is closer to Packard Specs that Dexron.

Now there are Type A fluids out there that contain no friction modifiers and do not have the hydrodynamic properties of Type F. However they are usually oils sold for the second tier aftermarket. I presume they are probably just 10 weight motor oil with a dye in it.
10 weight motor oil may be perfectly okay for Ultramatic given no extreme or winter usage.

However, type F seems the best pick for Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Lubriplate made type A, they have gone to the dexron/mercon, which is supposed to be for type A transmissions, have not looked to see if has friction mods, but they also make tpye F,, i have also used trick shift, not cheap,,but firm shifts.. since it is for racing,

What about jack oil?,,i would not use it, but would it work?

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/22 16:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Brian51,

Your post reminds me of Mark Lambert talking in one of his restoration shows (maybe the 1938 Eight project) about using silicon sealer on gaskets. He recommended placing the sealer on the gasket (either on one side or both sides depending on need), then rubbing the sealer around with your fingers, leaving only a minimum amount on the gasket. This will prevent excess sealer from squeezing out when the gasket is tightened down and getting into the internals. Seemed like good advice to me, and I have followed his guidance when using sealers on gaskets.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/23 13:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved