Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

todd landis, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Disk Brake on a 29?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
I am a firm believer that certain modifications if done right for safety are acceptable. Living here in a very hilly area where we see long grades of 12% or more, and with the stop lights not timed for us older car drivers, and the way people drive here in general, I am considering converting our 645 to disk brake. I had a very close call in my Mustang last night and I have excellent brakes and tires. Had I been in the 29, I doubt this would even be being written. We are never going to show the Duchess at Pebble Beach anyway and the old girl is a driver but with five to seven people in a car that weighs just under five thousand pounds empty trying to stop on an 80 year old braking system is asking an awful lot of the old girl.

I would like to hear ideas from you all. Also if someone has a spare spindle for a 6th series they don't need that I can use for mock up, well that would be groovy.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2011/6/7 14:40
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Re: Disk Brake on a 29?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Hi Paul,

I agree that disc brakes are a much better option when it comes to stopping a car, but I wonder if you have looked at improving the drum system on the '29 instead, as I think it could well be a cheaper option. With hydraulics being used in the '35 120s, there might be an easier conversion to better drum brakes that would work almost as well as discs but cost less and be more in keeping with the car...?

Posted on: 2011/6/7 17:06
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved