Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
270 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 268

Tobs, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Brake drums wont come off suggestions?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had one that took at least a weekend--not really sure exactly how much longer. Was on tightly and then next time I went to car location, it had popped loose. Just be sure the brake shoes have been backed off some and the nut is loosely fitted with some free space but still on by a few threads or the drum will fly across the room. A very big hammer and some mild heat has been resorted to by some.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 22:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Years ago I read about the restoration of a Jaguar XK120 by an English enthusiast, he was working on the car in his back garden. He tried to remove the rear hub, tapered like a Packard, but nothing seemed to work. He left the puller on for a week, going out each day and hammering it tighter. One morning he came out and found the hub and puller lying 25 feet from the car lol.

Have heard of them letting go suddenly like a shot from a gun.

So, it is a good idea to leave the nut on flush with the end of the axle. This prevents mushrooming the shaft and holds the hub from shooting across the shop floor.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 22:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree, make sure the shoes are backed off and not binding on the drum. Also it takes more pressure than you think to break off a drum that had been firmly seated for many years.

I am sure the local Packard dealer didn't let it set overnight, they just keep tightening the dog bone until the drum popped.

But I agree leave the axle nut on and even with the end of the axle.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 22:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Using a 10 tonne hydraulic puller and some gentle persuasion from a soft face hammer on the sides of the hub moved both of mine quite effectively, but both waited until I had turned my back to reach for a bigger hammer before going off with a loud and quite pleasing 'bang'. YES, put the nut on and NO don't stand in front of it!

Posted on: 2011/9/9 17:33
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved