Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1951 Packard Twelve What-If
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I know the 48 to 50 models were unpopular for a long time. But compare them to their contemporaries.

They were in the swim with style leaders 1946-52 Kaiser and 1947-49 Studebaker. Similar to the 48-54Hudson, 49-51 Mercury and Lincoln. The "inverted bathtub" look was in style there for a while, although it quickly became dated when the "three box" look came in, and even more dated in the "chrome and tailfins" era.

Since the mid 80s the rounded jelly bean look has come back, since then the 49-50 jobs don't look so bad.

Incidentally Packard had the style leader from 42 to 47, and the 48-50 models deserve credit for successfully restyling the old body when other companies had to pay for completely new bodies to get the same look.

To me the 42-47 Clipper style has it over the 48-50 restyle like Marilyn Monroe over Tugboat Annie but at the time, it was a smart thing to do.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Great observation about Packard rear styling. For the Contour cars I prefer the vertical lights with fender top extension, but can certaily see why you like the double lights with fender top extension. Also agree that the sore thumbs look good on the Panther, although I don't see them belonging on a top-of-line Packard. Top of line means something special, something spectacular. Packard's last true "something special, something spectacular" design was, IMHO, the 1932-39 grill. When I think of Packard, I think of that grill. In the 50s they needed memorable design of that caliber to get back on top.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Rusty - agree that Packard deserves credit for having the nerve to do straight-through styling in '48. Christopher was not the demon some have made him out to be. The guy helped save Packard by getting its costs under control, and he pushed the modern design forward while his designers were still stuck on the needle nose. On the 42-47 Clippers, I have looked at that car from all angles under all levels of light. IMHO can't see the design leadership. Proportionally it is problematic. The body is so wide, it might have been a good candidate for a straight through front fender al la the Pierce Silver Arrow. To try to work in half high front fenders and bulging running boards into such a wide and stubby body might have been asking too much. The car looks much better on the 148" limo wheelbase where the surfaces have a chance to collect and resolve themselves. Personally I think the concurrent Buicks were better designs. Just an opinion.

Certainly Packard was a style leader in the 30s with its grill. Surveys of the day suggested as much. Car show gawkers today confirm.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Here's an example of a nice early 50s anti-Cadillac-flamboyance design. The body is similar to my work-up with just a little flare to the fenders. Front grill is well-defined yet modern. Rear lights are slight but elegant and upscale. Packard had lots of opportunity back then to continue the straight-through body side look of the bathtubs... and school Cadillac on the elements of restraint, proportion and taste.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.13 KB)
2060_4dfa1262b5a56.jpg 550X277 px

jpg  (18.05 KB)
2060_4dfa127196a97.jpg 400X186 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 9:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Same Chrysler concept car seen at Greenwich (CT) Concours d'Elegance this month.

Attach file:

jpg  (249.11 KB)
177_4dfa14e85e205.jpg 1500X897 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Those timeless concept cars by Ghia for Chrysler became the basis for the well known Karmann Ghia a couple of years later. Packard lost design leadership after 1947, but the 55/56s were a nice try, imo.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 15:12
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always loved this Pinin Farina designed 1952 Packard Coupe which was never built during Packards reign, but later custom built by a collector based on the Pinin Farina drawings.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9429/Packard-Pinin-Farina-Coupe.aspx

I saw it a couple years ago when it was at the Museum in Dayton.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 17:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As seen a few years ago at the Greenwich (CT) Concours. Same vehicle, right Kev?

Attach file:

jpg  (103.13 KB)
177_4dfa857b9caf5.jpg 1189X798 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 17:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, yes same car.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 17:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Incredible amount of body work and re-engineering done to the Pinin Farina car and wonderful passion the gentleman who modified it has. Like the floor mounted stick shift, must be really fun to drive.

Was thinking about HH56's preference for the '54 rear and wanted to give it a try. Again many thanks to the owner of one of the nicest 54s out there. Image adds the same 5" to the hood as on the 51 work-up and most of the other changes. Keeps the 54 backlight. Overall, one thing that jumps out is that the 54 has many extra chrome trim pieces added while the 51 relies on pure body design. I kind of like the 51 better. The windshield and backlight match each other and meld with the rounded body while the 54's front and rear glass seem to follow GM.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.76 KB)
2060_4dfa94cf743e4.jpg 715X325 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 18:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved