Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Window Channel 1948 Packard Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi everybody.

I am restoring the doors on my car and have hit a snag.

The channels for the sliding up/down main windows require renewing.

They are pretty shot and difficult to measure - does anyone know the correct specification ? where some may be obtained ? and the correct order of re-assembling them ?

Best regards Michael

TAKEN HOWARD'S ADVICE BUT STEELE HAS MANY WINDOW CHANNEL SECTIONS (PLUS OTHER BITS AND BOBS !)- - - ANY GUIDANCE AS TO WHAT I NEED GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED

MANY THANKS MICHAEL

Attach file:

jpg  (299.70 KB)
1329_4df8d67d2ee0b.jpg 1132X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Window Channel 1948 Packard Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Steelehttp://www.steelerubber.com/ has the channel as I'm sure do some of our other vendors. If you have enough of your original left and can measure and match the style, Restoration Specialtieshttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/ has bulk length you can order and cut to fit. They also have most of the other hard beaded weatherstrip items.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Howard - please see note added above and downloaded relevant Steele Cat. parts.

Michael

Posted on: 2011/6/15 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The channel may be different for various models so you will have to compare with the original if you can and order the closest match. If none of your original is there, then perhaps someone can look at theirs and give the information. Some pieces exactly like the originals may not be available but replacements are very close and work without issue. Differences on the close matches are mostly in the chrome trim on edge dimensions.

Biggest problem you may have is attaching them. Some of the old were riveted, stapled or used special clips which may be damaged and are NLA. I was able to use very small sheet metal screws in place of some rivets & clips by drilling holes and then burying the screw heads in the soft base material. Just be sure the glass can't touch or ride against anything you use to mount the channel.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks again - what would I do without Pack.Info. ?

Progress has been slowly made and I now have samples from two sources in the UK and need to get to the car and compare these with the bits of the old stuff I have left.

I'll try to post an update to keep all upto date. Meanwhile photos of the suspects in the case !

Best regards as ever Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (74.19 KB)
1329_4dff1c6181033.jpg 845X634 px

jpg  (57.18 KB)
1329_4dff1c8d93e49.jpg 761X571 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 4:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved