Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Re: Strange 327 Knock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Calipers, digital or otherwise, will never give you the degree of accuracy you need for bearing work. Best invest in a proper micrometer.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll second that. Measure it with a mic. Measure at two locations,each at rite angles to each other for out of roundness. And measure at each each extreme end of the journal for taper.

Even if u don;t do anything about any out of roundness u will at least know what u got and what u don't have. Sometimes knowing what is and what isn't in an engine is more important for making later judgement calls than for any fine tuning that can be done now.

If after all of this work the knock persists or comes back in after 4K miles or so then u'll be able to determine if it's due to any questionable or non-questionable journal issues. OR determine that it is not due to any journal issues.

BTW, while the pan is off check the torque on all of the main bearing caps and other rod caps. Inspect anything else, even just visualy, that is easy to see while pan is off. Look at each piston for split skirts, especialy the pistons near the front where the knock is.

I have the pan and head off of an engine rite now. I just spent more time laying under the truck inspecting and cleaning than i did on disassembly. About 3 hours worth.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 15:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If it has a floating oil pump pick up screen check that close too. If anything was hitting it there will be marks on top of the floating screen housing.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 16:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
cheque end play in crank.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Put the main back in without shim, clearance was .003 so i let it go. Old rod bearing clearance on good rod was .001...nice! New bearing from ross in old rod was between .001 and .002. Put it all back together and have great oil pressure, but after warmed up that persistent annoying knock came back (again, not at idle and not WOT, just cruising rpm and pedal position.) It's not near as bad as it was towards the end there, i may still limp it to warren on Saturday.

Looks like the engine may have to come back out for a rebuild, but i have a couple projects i'd rather work on this winter. Maybe time to part ways with the car and cut losses, can be so frustrating.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 20:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved