Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 188

Peter Packard, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: still rough idle
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Fred,

Funny you should mention that. I am also going to try a spare distributor from a fellow Packard colleague to see if that fixes my problem. Thank you for your suggestion and input. I have narrowed it down to to either the distrib or the carb...
Warrem

Posted on: 2011/7/8 12:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't forget the coil. Unless you have a new one, old Packard coils have been known to get flaky and do strange things when hot.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 12:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard, the coil sounds like an inexpensive and quick idea. I will try it...thank you.
Warren

Posted on: 2011/7/8 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Pulled the coil yesterday. The contact was totally corroded and the coil was oozing and dripping oil. Replaced the coil...big improvement. Coil looked like the original and appeared to be an antique just like the car. I suppose parts were built to last back in the '50s. Thanks to all for all your suggestions...big help.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 13:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At least some progress. Believe you mentioned your carb was moist or weeping so getting that taken care of as well should bring your ride back into Packard style.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard
Had the Carter 2bbl rebuilt and just reinstalled it Friday 15 July. Car is running like a dream...I will see if I can keep it that way.
The overhauler said the carb was very dirty but that the float was good. Looked like it hadn't been touched for quite some time.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Warren

Posted on: 2011/7/16 4:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved