Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Smoking from Lifter Cover '51 300
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 327 motor smoked like crazy after being started for the first time in almost 20 years. It still smokes a little bit, but gets better every time I drive it. You may have a stuck ring that will free up with some driving. Also you can replace a quart of oil with a quart of ATF and drive it for couple hundred miles and see if the detergents in the ATF helps to free anything up. I took the quicker route and replaced 3 quarts of oil with ATF, and ran it through about 15 warmup cycles while parked (no driving) over the course of about a week. The oil came out jet black, and that really helped to clean out a lot of crud.

Also Jim sent me a couple cans of Motorcraft Carb cleaner that you spray down the throat of the carb with the motor running and that cleaned a ton of carbon and crap out of the top end of the motor. The car will smoke worse right after using as all the stuff that breaks free is getting burned out through the exhaust. Then it will go away.

The motor was smoking from the tail pipe, and also would pour smoke out of the road draft tube when rev'd. Now it just smokes a little from the tail pipe on acceleration, and almost nothing from the road draft tube.

Anyway that is what worked for me, and I believe is also what Jim used to cure the "Crop Dusting" on his 356. Follow advice at your own risk.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 10:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Youtube video of it running
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I was able to upload a video of what I'm working with in regards to the smoking. The exhaust looks pretty good but you can definately hear lifters. Hopefully with this information it will also help to see if it is excessive or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9I3XGCTYzYA

Posted on: 2011/7/15 13:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved