Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard & Diamond T trucks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi All,

Whilst reading some magazines I came across an article on the diamond T trucks. The article showed a picture of the dash which appears to use the exact same gauges as that of the 10th & 11th Series Packard. I found an image online which shows the gauges (not the best angle) but I was wondering is there any connection between these two companies, or were these gauges made by an outside source and were available to different manufactures at that time?

Kind regards,
Mathew

Attach file:

jpg  (125.11 KB)
24_4e1afad0bd229.jpg 1024X888 px

Posted on: 2011/7/11 8:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard & Diamond T trucks
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there also a picture of the trucks front sheet metal tat mite also be Packard????

Is there anything else in the interior of the truck that appears to be Packar???? I'm not familiar enuf with 10th - 11th series to determine that.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 8:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/11 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Most likely the gauge or panel manufacturer sold the panels to Diamond T after Packard was through using them. Smaller vehicle makers often bought, off the shelf, obsolete parts like door handles, window cranks etc. to save the cost of tooling. This was gravy for the hardware manufacturer and the original customer did not care.

Slightly off the topic but I recently helped an airplane restorer find NOS 1940 Chev interior door handles for his project. Piper used the identical handles in the early fifties.

Or, maybe the gauge panels are different and the similarity of appearance is a coincidence. Only a direct comparison would answer the question for sure.

Posted on: 2011/7/15 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Despite the similarities, there are some differences. For example the speedo in the Diamond T does not have a full scale of 120 mph.

EDIT: I believe Packard purchased the gauges from Waltham; at least the clock and speedometer are so marked. No connection between Diamond T and Packard.

Posted on: 2011/7/15 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I was suggesting Diamond T bought the panels off the shelf from the panel manufacturer. Then installed their own choice of gauges. They may not have even known what car it was designed for.

I know this was done at the time, because of an article about the 1936 Cord. The designer of the car said one of the ways they saved time and money, was to use off the shelf interior door handles and window cranks bought from the firm that made hardware for all the car companies. They dressed up this obsolete hardware with big showy plastic knobs.

The only way to tell for sure would be to compare them side by side. But it is at least a possibility.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 18:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved