Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 198

Ross, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel and fluids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I am having a great time getting to know my '52 packard. I have had my car 1 WK. today.
I have read threads on what type of fluids to use etc
(like oil and ATF) I want to cchange these fluids so i have a baseline to start from.
What type of fuel should i use. ??? Do i want regular or supreme? Here in hawaii i can get fuel or gasoline without ethanol. Should i use that. I am told this new fuel with ethanol attracts moisture.
Do i want to put any addatives in my tank? I am not real big on lots of xtras.

Any advice. ??? thanks

Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:55
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel and fluids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your 52 will be pleased as punch to run on regular without ethanol. Avoid mixing up cocktails of additives as it seems some combinations are hard on the fuel system components.

In all but 40 years of driving Packards, and twenty years of wrenching on them full time I have settled on the following regimen for the "collector cars" I drive regularly (my newest car is a 63), and they all seem to like it right well.

Rotella 20W-50 oil
Type "F" trans fluid plus Lucas if the trans is a "groaner".
Standard brake fluid to be changed every 2 years or so.

Your idea to establish a baseline is a good one, and once you have gone through the car, you will find that it requires very little attention.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 6:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the advice. The trans sounds good. nice and smooth. So you put lucas in the trans.?
how about lucas with the engine oil.?

Posted on: 2011/7/13 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I only put the Lucas in the tired automatics, otherwise nothing, I add nothing to the engine oil; I find now that my cars are all switched to Rotella and have some time with it they are running better than they have in twenty years.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The best gas for your car is low octane regular without alcohol.

When your car was built the best available gas was about 80 octane. Today's lowest regular is higher than that. Your car will actually run better and produce more power on low octane gas than on high test.

Some like to add a little Marvel Mystery Oil , Redex, Bardahl or similar upper cylinder lubricant. But once again, the gas your car was built for was low lead as well as low octane.

If the engine is not worn out 10W30 oil will probably work as well as anything. Rotella 15W40 is good oil and should be fine for your warm climate.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the advice guys. i will locate some rotella.
can't wait to check it out.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 3:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
That's actually good to know about the octane as the manual said to run premium so I've been running 93 octane since that is the current premium. I'm going to give regular a try on my next fill up. I've been running lucas for the fuel since they listed that it helps replace the benefits of leaded fuel.

Posted on: 2011/7/15 22:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved