Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dearborn rum runner?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
My stepfathers father was a detective for Dearborn, MI Police back in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. He carried a camera on the job to document crime scenes and he kept a scrapbook documenting what he thought was interesting. I never met the man however I'm sure he could tell some stories. Among the many shots of car wrecks, Ford plant riots and petty thieves were these three shots of what I believe to be a smoke screen system installed on a 1928 or 1929 Packard. Please excuse the poor quality as these are photographs of photographs. There was no article or description with these shots however they were on the same page of the book.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.63 KB)
2666_4e25eb1573f22.jpg 800X578 px

jpg  (50.32 KB)
2666_4e25eb21413bb.jpg 800X584 px

jpg  (43.43 KB)
2666_4e25edd51ba53.jpg 897X651 px

Posted on: 2011/7/19 15:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Dearborn rum runner?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
that is awesome,there is alot of moonshine history down here in Georgia,mostly 40 ford stuff.A packard rum runner is too cool.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I never met the man however I'm sure he could tell some stories...There was no article or description with these shots ...

Todd (tfee), on one of those rainy days you could tell your grandchildren the story of your stepfathers father. Autumn wind, a pot of tea, cookies, ... , one can't go wrong with this.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.01 KB)
757_4e2604f847fb1.jpg 847X585 px

Posted on: 2011/7/19 17:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
LOL, I'll do that.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The car looks like it is parked behind Dearborn city hall.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Pacards1 you may be right. I will be in Dearborn tomorrow morning and I'll bring along my camera.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Large, fast luxury cars were popular with rumrunners during Prohibition. Remember, the light, fast Ford V-8 would only become available on the cusp of it's repeal. Lincoln were the preferred make.

As an auto historian, I would be interested to see the photos of the Ford Plant riots, if they aren't too graphic and inappropriate for this Forum. Perhaps submit them to Big Kev for approval before posting. Thanks.

Steve

Posted on: 2011/7/20 7:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Flint too.

Posted on: 2011/7/20 8:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I believe we have a match. I took this photo this morning of the back of the Dearborn city hall west annex. I couldn't find a date marker on the building however it must have been built after the main city hall next door which was constructed in 1921.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.43 KB)
2666_4e26ebfe8adac.jpg 897X651 px

jpg  (106.66 KB)
2666_4e26f215a58ac.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2011/7/20 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Steve, I believe the Ford shots I have are from the "battle of the overpass" in 1937 but they are not marked as such. I don't have them in front of me and I'm reluctant to post them without my stepfathers approval. I will ask him if he is OK with it. The entire scrapbook needs to be scanned in and a copy should go to the Dearborn Historical Museum in my opinion. My biggest obstacle on this front is that my stepfather has the book in Florida where he lives and I am obviously in Michigan. The history of Dearborn is largely the history of the Ford Motor Co. and the book shows it. The riot pictures I mention are not very graphic (no blood) so I don't think they would disturb anyone however without my stepfathers approval I can't post them. He is coming up to see the grandkids in September, perhaps I can get him to bring the book with him at that time. I'll let you know if I can post more.
Todd

Posted on: 2011/7/20 11:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved