Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 212

Ozstatman, humanpotatohybrid, jwblazek, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Noise on Super 8 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
from Ty Terblanche fo South Africa on his 37 Super Eight issue.

Hello Sandy
I have another Packard problem that you can maybe help me solve.

The car has had a heavy "klonk" sound for some time when pulling off, also when when changing from top to second to "brake".

It seems to be at my feet. The propshaft has been taken out TWICE and balanced once and proclaimed "fit", but still the klonk. Finally some mounting brackets on or near the gearbox were removed and revulcanised (or at least rerubbered). The noice was much better but is now back as lound as it was.

Attached is a pic of the car when I was restoring it and a mount of the gearbox can just be seen next to the clutch pedal. Also, two inserts from the Steel Rubber catalogue showing mountings used on the '37 Super. Do you have any suggestions or any experience of this type of problem before?

Thanks
ty

Sounds like universals to me what do you guys think

Posted on: 2011/8/8 6:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Noise on Super 8 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
If it were me I would start by looking at universals, but I've been caught out by such things before. The fact that it only seems to happen under initial take off and then under heavier engine breaking makes it a little less likely in my mind - wouldn't a lose uni be a more constant noise? New rear mounts improved it...? Yes, could still be universal... but... mmmm! Output shaft? Gearbox bearings? Clutch centre? The universal would be the cheapest place to start for sure.

I once pulled out and stripped a gearbox and transfer case looking for a 'clunk' the ended up being in the rear diff, so don't trust anything I say! LOL

Posted on: 2011/8/8 8:03
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
If the driveshaft has been removed and checked twice I think you can be pretty sure it's not the problem. As I recall, on LH drive cars there is a "dog bone" stabilizer at the rear right side of the block. This would be by yoiur feet if your car is a RH drive, you do not say.

Cloink by your feet would not likely be a clutch problem, it is too far inside the aluminum crankcase to be herd that prominently, alsonever encountered that with a clutch.

It sounds like it is caused by the engine shifting wither clockwise or counterclockwise on accel/decelleration.

With car stopped and hood open, block wheels fore and aft, pop clutch in first and reverse, this will cause the engine to shift adn perhaps produce noise.

Check front motor mount which if loose will allow motor to rotate/shift.

Let us all know what you find.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
thanks Ill forward the info to Ty

Posted on: 2011/8/8 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
photo of inside with interior removed so not to get dirty a RHD

Attach file:

jpg  (201.13 KB)
623_4e40767f7e00e.jpg 1600X1082 px

Posted on: 2011/8/8 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
we make both of these mounts new

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
According to ty the car belonged to one of the gold mining execs in 1937 and was purchased at the Packard dealership in Johannesburg

Posted on: 2011/8/9 5:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Any news on what the problem is??

Posted on: 2011/8/14 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Sanford:

Packards are too expensive to start with stuff like transmissions.

I had a case with a similar complaint. In reverse mostly.

The expensive route would be to blame the overdrive.

Packards are notorious for worn motor mounts that cause the exhaust pipe to bang on the frame under load.

Take a look and see if there are any shiny spots on the exhaust system. All those snubbers and such were there to prevent noise. Even when perfect there isn't a lot of margin.

A little judcious work with a torch and a jack can remedy the situation, but it will require someone with knowledge and skill because I have seen those manifolds break when put on a lift by some knucklehead.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/8/14 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Packards with the "large" senior trans (39 super had a 120 trans) never had overdrive. These trans are relatively undestructible except for sometimes needing bearings.

This car has the large senior trans.

Exhaust pipe interference/banging is not common on Senior cars as it is on Junior-based crs which includes 39-42 Super 8/160/180

Posted on: 2011/8/14 11:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved