Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 224

John Wogec, John Sauser, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Monoblock Engine Introductions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
All I can express toward the original question is an opinion. Since Packard decided to keep their senior models through 39, it would make sense for that market to maintain the powerplants that their customer base would expect to see. They had already dropped the 384 Super 8 and re-classified the 320 as a "Super" for the 15th through 17th series cars. Once those were done it was time to develop or enlarge the 120 (288/282) into the beloved 356. Well, I love em anyways, and IMO it was a good move. The monstrous senior cars were gone, times and tastes were changing, war was looming on the horizon, cars were getting smaller and faster. I did read somewhere that the 41 160 cars were the fastest production US cars available. I read this in an issue of "MoToR" magazine, the dealer network's professional publication. I had to return the books to whom I'd borrowed them from so I can't cite the actual article, and strange enough, it was in a story of another car line and the author was extolling that line's new increased power. The statement was how it was 2nd only to the new 160, "...the fastest American production car available...".

In an effort to analyze that market place and try to put it all into our own perspectives, we need to try and remove ourselves from the topic. I personally think the 356 was perhaps the best ever. It's cousin, the 359 is just as nice but not the 1st. In one of the replies above about the 15,000 mile test, well that was a publicity move for the 36, or 14th, model year during the auto show in NY. The real test according to the big "Packard" book by Kimes was for the 12th series where they ran the new "insert" bearings in a 320ci 8 at full throttle for 25,000 miles (!!!!) with no failure, stopping only for gas, oil, driver and tire changes. Still, in light of such durability, it had to go in order to keep up with the times. Not because it was outdated or unreliable, it just didn't fit.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 8:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved