Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 157

Ozstatman, Don Shields, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Parts Supply houses
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote: "A/C and alternator brackets for the v-8s are something many people talk about but virtually no one really has."

REal world: not everyone is running the same compressor therefore bracket variations as many as can be dreamed.

QUote: "Personally, rather than a fan spacer for a mopar fan, I'd just like a six blade fan that fits; one that has been machined to fit the stock setup. Is that possible?"

REal world: Again, depending on AC mount and other variations then fan mounting could vary too for belt and or other clearence.. I used the machined adapter and an off-the-shelf autoparts store fan because that was easiest, fastest and cheapest way i could find.

Quote: "Some of you are mechanically capable of using a simple adapter; I'm six thumbed so would prefer a kit offering everything, including clear directions....... I'm tired of assembling parts from ten vendors which don't really align......"

Yep, parts that don;t fit is par for the course. How would u like $500 (15 years ago) for 2 NASA quality con-rods that have to be doctored on to get them to fit??? MANUFACTUREREr approved of my doctoring V2V and HE CALLED ME!

QUote: "I'm in the group that just wants to drive the cars, not fart with them."

So are the rest of us. Problem is it doesn't work that way. That's why so many of these cars take YEARS to finish and pass thru MULTIPLE OWNERS before they ever run the first mile let alone the first 1K miles. Purchased parts lay in boxes with shipping labels still on them and lay on shelves and pass thru multiple owners too over many years before they are ever installed or are suddenly discovered NOT TO FIT or not rite in some way.

There u have it. The real world of vintage tin. All the things that mother never told us about running SI vehicles. I'm Mutha enuf to tell it.

Edit: BTW. If i couldn't do my own auto auto repair and knowing what little i do now about cars then i would NOT own ANY car nor motorized vehicle what so ever. I's walk or get a bicycle or roller skates or stay home or something.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 13:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
PatGreen. Try the Packard vendors to see if they have an OEM new or used six blade fan. Buy it. That should solve your problem.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
PatGreen. Try the Packard vendors to see if they have an OEM new or used six blade fan. Buy it. That should solve your problem.

I believe another poster has already tried that and said they laughed for several minutes. I really think a new 6 blade fan is going to boil down to modifying the Mopar or another make if we can find one any closer to what we need or an adapter for any number of universals.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe only reason the 6ix blade fan becomes an issue is when better cooling is demanded.

Better cooling obtains also by setting the fan closer to the radiator.

Therefore a 6ix blade fan setting closer to the radiator is better than a 6ix blade in OEM position.

THerfore use an adapter machined for the Packard pump hub and a 6ix b;ade fan AND that will aloww for optional clearences for any added accessories such as alternator, AC, vacuum pumps etc. etc.

IF a MoPAr fan must be machined to fit then mite as well machine an off-the-shelf adapter (they're fairly cheap IIRC) and get it ALL.

What am i missing here???

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For those that are so willful as to insist on a MoPar fan then maybe one of the vendors from the following MoPar vendor list has a fan:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Part/General/Sources.htm

Just trying to help. That's all.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keith, The way I am understanding the request is not so much anyone wanting a particular brand but one that just bolts on without need of an adapter. The way I see it, that will only happen with a fan having no slots and a space large enough to be enlarged--whatever the brand.

I expect all Mopar fans that may be able to be modified to fit will be about the same. Doubt anything not Packard will work out of the box because of our large hub. This one Fan is typical and probably similar to what the vendors you posted would sell.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 16:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"The way I see it, that will only happen with a fan having no slots and a space large enough to be enlarged--"

ok. but what method does anyone have in mind to enlarge the hole??? Those that are handy and patient with a file can enlarge the hole in maybe 1 hour or so. Those NOT wanting to dick with it will have to hire it done.

Machining an Aluminum adapter/spacer is rather simple lathe operation that can be accomlished on even a cheap flimsy import lathe rather fast. If i had a lathe i'd much rather cut the Al spacer than to hand file a hole in STEEL from 1/2" to what, about 1-1/8 inch???? So i'm guessing a machinist or hired help would rather lathe cut than file too.

I suppose it all depends on the individuals preferences/resources on which way to go.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NOTE that the fan in the "FAN" ural u proviuded has the center hub covered up with red lable. I think u mentioned that a few posts and a day or so ago. Makes me suspicous that the fan in the advertisment is just some aftermarket discount auto parts store fan. i.e. small hole and elongated slots.

Personally i believe we are chasing the wind on a FAN ONLY modification/retro fit.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The fan undoubtedly has a small hole --slots I don't know but since it mates with the water pump pulley the site also shows, maybe not. There are ways to do the large hole aside from the file and no, I would not want to do it that way either. Bolt holes look to need 1/8 to 3/16 so probably a file would be the best on those. On the large hole, the simplest way I can think of for someone with a decent home shop is a unibit. Not knowing the size of the Mopar hole, unknown if it would take one bit to bring it to 3/4 and a second size to finish or not. I don't expect people to have that large size on hand either but a good shop guy is always looking to add to the tool collection. For those without much of a shop then it would have to be hired out or taken to a friend.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.52 KB)
209_4e4c6f6f32698.jpg 400X607 px

Posted on: 2011/8/17 20:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Unibit is just fine as long as one of the steps on it is the same size as initial hole in the fan to be enlarged. Otherwise centering the unibit becomes a problem.

Unibit is a good idea tho. be interesting to see how well centered the finished hole size is. Should be close enuf i'd think. Good idea.

EDIT: what about the slots causing problems for the unibit if they overlap the finish center hole size????

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved