Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 229

didatelogg, Don B, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Just got back from 1.5 hr drive in my 52
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm afraid that is going to be a tough one unless you can trace the wire to something or someplace. So many possibilities, so few clues. Is there another wire on the switch so you can tell if it was powering something directly -- perhaps from ign switch or circuit breaker or does it appear the switch is connecting the wire to ground.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Does the extra switch look different from the others? Could it be an add on accessory put on by an owner long ago? Could be for windshield washer (now removed) or for fog lights or something else.

Whether it is an original factory switch or add on could be a clue to what it is for.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Does your car have a power antenna? If you look in the engine bay up near the firewall and down, you should see a power assembly with wires that come off of the antenna and go thru the firewall. Wire color may be black and one orange. What your describing sounds like an inoperative switch

Posted on: 2011/8/18 18:13
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
this switch is directly beneath the headlight switch. and it is the exact same switch as the other switches. i have a power antenna switch to the left of this switch. i still think this switch is for a power window washer no longer in the car. however ther are no water jets on the windshield. but there is a place to attach tubing inder the dash where the wipers are. and the wire from the switch goes into and up the stearing columm. for now i am satisfied that this switch is for a washer unit.
i love these mysteries.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 13:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tis a mystery. The only wires that should be going up the column in 52 would be 1 to the Ultra indicator light and 6 to the turn signal switch. Can't imagine what another would do. The antenna switch would normally be a push pull directly under the headlight switch and rear seat speaker would be a rotary fader and slightly to the left of ign switch.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 13:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The only other wire up the column would be for the window washer pump switch if mag-nu-matic.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 14:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here are the layouts of the switches 51-54. (click for larger view)

Attach file:

jpg  (57.35 KB)
1_4e52aad948640.jpg 1180X616 px

Posted on: 2011/8/22 14:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
The only other wire up the column would be for the window washer pump switch if mag-nu-matic.

Very true -- mag-nu-matics didn't come on the scene till 54 but who knows what might have been added. Out of curiosity does the windshield wiper knob have a button in the center or just a plain knob. Seems strange they would have added a mag-nu-matic but not the proper switch--unless it was done long after by a previous owner--and the switch only provides a ground. The actual wire to unit would be under dash and only 6" up into the column. If that is what it's for, I think they took the long way around.

The washer jets are on the side of the chrome blade drive mounts--are they missing with open holes or never installed with threaded plugs.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
there are no washer jets on the wiper mounts and no holes, and no plugs.
the windshield wiper knob on the steering columm is just a knob, one way on and one off.
my power antenna switch is to tthe left of this swicth. i haven't figured what controls the speaker in the rear yet. my radio is in the car , but does not work. i should be able to check for the radio operation in the book/ ./

Posted on: 2011/8/23 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You have a strange car. With switches to nowhere and a partial washer install with hoses but no jets. I didn't think 51-4 Packards used any Trico mounts without provisions for a washer on the side.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 19:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved