Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

didatelogg, Don B, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Executive question (s)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Overall, the Executive is my favorite '56 model Packard. There's something about the combination of the senior front end/Clipper tail lamps....

So is the Executive considered a junior+ car, or senior- car?

How many of the 1,000 or so 2-door hardtops are left?

What are they worth, restored or in good original condition?

Posted on: 2011/8/19 10:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Executive question (s)
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ultimately the Exec is a "glorified Clipper". My preference is Pat's and Carib convertibles. I doubt that i will ever off my 56 Exec tho. I like it. Exec's are not high dollar cars even in show condition especialy the sedans. I like the styling too of the Exec. Too bad they didn't build it on the long wheel base tho.

The sedan is a nice car to drive without worrying about tearing up a high dollar Carib or 400 or other clipper hardtops. The Executive sedan seems to be a very rugged car with alot of curb appeal and comfort. Much of the hard top craze is just psychological anyway especialy with 55 and 56 Clipper and Packards. Other makes of hardtops made significant body line/roof line changes between HT and sedans while Packard didn't.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 11:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
is it not just a renaming of the 55 Clipper Custom 2 door, thus making it a junior.

it was a marketing thing to boost sales or something right?

i like to say the 2 door custom is the carribean of the clippers, but i'm biased.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/19 13:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Sales of medium priced cars especially the fancier models was very strong in the early fifties. In 1954 Buick actually outsold Plymouth. Hardtops, and other deluxe models had quite a vogue.

I suspect Packard brought out the Executive to take advantage of this. At the time, the rising young executive was one of the most popular marketing demographics. The Edsel was specifically aimed at this group.

By combining the smaller Clipper model with some luxury touches and senior front end, they had a new line to sell at a minimal tooling cost.

It appears to be a marketing driven extension of existing model lines.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Being partial to the Executive's styling, it is a junior with the best of both senior and junior styles. The front end body from the seniors and stylishly flared taillights of the juniors. Although it also has the 5" shorter chassis, the 352 vice 374 V8, and less desireable instrument gauges.

I don't think that the Executive was that much cheaper than the Pats, 400's or Caribs. As compared to the Buicks and Chevys of the day. They were still almost a year's family income for somebody to buy.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 14:47
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved