Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 228

Packard Don, BigKev, Wat_Tyler, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard Memorbilia
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OEM,NOS,NORS, is specifically understood. Maybe a new requirement should be an acc for UNbranded replacement parts of UNknown origin: URUO. No????

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I know. How about Parts of UNknown Origin or source: P.O.S. Gufwa ha ha ha ha .

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I like the word "vintage" in many ads. Whats does it mean? In a lot of cases they are just selling modern made in communist China crap with an old nostalgic look.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 15:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PackardV8 wrote:

Quote:
"unfortunate reality is that most people casually throw the term "repro" (or "repop") at anything "new". "

Ok. I see your point but raise u a question:
WHAt is it called???? A Retrospective Production or what??? I don;t think there is a ny genearly accepted, widely used not commonly understood word to describe any modern representations of historic artifacts other than grouping them into repops. Enlighten me.

Well, for one, these thermometers. They're not a reproduction of ANYTHING, but simply a new work - someone's embodiement of nostalgia, at best.

I might go so far to agree that someone found dies that were used many decades ago for other thermometers, but that still doesn't make these a "repro".

Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...In a lot of cases they are just selling modern made in communist China crap with an old nostalgic look....

Joel, just you wait when I trick BigKev into giving his permission to outline the far eastern car history.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.93 KB)
757_4e614b91bc15c.jpg 723X241 px

Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PackardV8 wrote:

Quote:
"On a related note, I don't consider parts recently made from original tooling to be repro or NOS, but simply NEW."

Hmmmmm. can u give some examples of Packard parts that are made from original tooling???? I assume 'original tooling" means original FACTORY tooling as was produced by PMCC during PMCC production years. That 'original tooling' is NOT an interpretation on a par with "Original Artists" in the music world.

There are probably examples of Chev or AMC parts from OEM tooling but i really doubt that there is any Packard oem tooling extant. But even using oem tooling begs the question (in somecases) of production controls.

I have it on good authority that the chrome-plated, adjustable type, license plate frame, SP50048, offered by Mid-Atlantic Packards back in the 1990s was a new run from original tooling still in possession of the original supplier, Gerity. You'll find that name cast into many other die-cast parts used on these V8s - even other brands of the day. The company was still in business, making bathroom accessories.

About 20 years ago, the '56 Clipper tail light lenses were re-run by a vendor in South Bend Indiana from original tooling. The color looked a bit off to me - until they were installed in the tail light body.

I'll invite ohers, including Fred Kanter, to expand on such offerings.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved