Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
My 55 400 is slowly getting renewed. The transmission leaks have been fixed, but a couple of others are still with me. The power steering pump drips fluid, slowly, but it drips. The power steering control (I don't know what else to call it)has a bigger leak. This is the part below everything else. How can I correct this? And where is the brand of steering gear fund? Don't know if it is Bendix or Monroe.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2011/8/31 20:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Easiest way to tell the units apart is check the drawings in parts manual -- plates 31C and 31D.

But if that is not convenient, essentially the Monroe has just one large component underneath as the assist cylinder is built into the end of the valve section and there are only two long hoses going to the power unit.

The Bendix unit has two components. A valve section and then a separate power cylinder. There will be 4 hoses visible--two long as with the Monroe and then two additional short hoses between the cylinder and valve.

The vendors may have repair seals for the valve section but the 55-6 Bendix power cylinder could possibly be an exchange or replace only part.

The pump should be rebuildable if the shaft is OK -- It is mostly O rings and a shaft seal.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks HH56 for the identification of Bendix vs Monroe.
My 56 Exec has 2 long and 2 short hoses. So i have Bendix.

NOTE that there is an STC or SC that covers some issue regarding backwards installment of the seal on the slave cylinder. I'm pretty sure it addresses the Bendix system.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 21:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
There is a seal kit for the Bendix slave cylinder. I got one and I believe it was from Max Merrit.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Gentlemen -

Thank you for the information. It will be put to good use.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2011/9/1 23:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved