Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

clutch linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The clutch rod on my 51 200 broke the other day. This is the one going from the clutch fork to the clutch pedal, where you can adjust the throw. I repaired it, using a barrel nut to put the two parts of the rod back together. Well, yesterday the clutch started working funny - it now engages about 3/4" of an inch from the floor. Nothing has changed on the adjustment of the rod. Any suggestions as to what to look for? thanks

Posted on: 2011/8/31 21:01
 Top  Print   

Re: clutch linkage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At the end of that rod, the lever piece that connects rod to the cross shaft has a pinch clamp. There should be a key to keep lever in position relative to the shaft but any chance that clamp has loosened or the key has worn or sheared off and the lever has turned on the shaft. How is the rod and lever on the other side of the shaft--also the bracket holding that engine side of shaft in position.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 21:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks Howard. I'll go take a look at it now, and post some photos.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
ok - took the clutch rod out (see first photo of repaired rod with barrel nut). First item. I had a nut and cotter pin on the outside/backside of the linkage, which made it difficult to adjust the rod far enough back for the clutch to engage more than about 1/2 inch from the floor. I took the nut off and just put in a washer and cotter pin. Is this correct? The clutch now works ok, but still needs more adjustment. Thats a job for tomorrow evening.

Question - do I need a stronger spring - the one on the linkage that is attached to the front clip on the left side of the engine? Second issue - do I need to replace the fat washer on the end of the clutch pivot rod? It sure looks sloppy to me. Thanks to all.

Also, while under the car, I spotted this wire hanging loose from the overdrive. Any idea as to where it goes?

Attach file:

jpg  (153.69 KB)
1679_4e604511d5e30.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (113.72 KB)
1679_4e604529cdd78.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (82.63 KB)
1679_4e60453e5e4b3.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (118.62 KB)
1679_4e6045769a2ab.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/9/1 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others may have better feel for washers and springs. Been too long since I paid much attention to what is there-although as long as nothing binds or is so loose it's sloppy or close to falling off is probably OK.. As to the wire, there should be 3 going into the OD loom and a short jumper between governor and lockout switch. If those are present and connected per schematic then no ideas.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.64 KB)
209_4e604a15431e2.jpg 583X330 px

Posted on: 2011/9/1 22:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks for the info on the overdrive. I'll work on that over the weekend. The clutch I'll keep playing with as well.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 23:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved