Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: V8 hardtop Seat Belts
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
No one has asked what length seat belts might be called for......

I have a Patrician into which I had lap belts installed.

90" in front and 75" in rear because no one knew what was needed. I am a large person and sometimes carry large people. Think O-line.

Those lengths will handle almost any large person, but are hard to manage for the 75 pound set.

Mine are original type with the flip buckle which, IMHO is unsafe because it easily disconnects inadvertently. If I had to do it over, I'd go newer style and retractable, which mine are not.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 16:35
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I installed front lap belts in my 55 Pat. I got them from JC Whitney and the color matched well. Here's the "look" from the back seat. Never been "crash tested."

Craig

(click to enlarge)
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/9/9 16:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
To follow up on the reason for lap, or any belts for that matter, my friend Paul in N. Las Vegas was involved in a T-bone accident a few years ago in his newly restored 56 Exec.

Short version: he T-boned a late Caprice (idiot) who pulled out in front of him (him 35MPH, she 2MPH). He booted her Caprice 220ft (according to Police reports) and totaled it. No one was actually hurt including Paul and his wife who were NOT wearing seat belts.

It did do $25K damage to his Exec, which, fortunately, the hitee's (who made an illegal entrance onto the roadway) insurance paid (up to her max). Since he did the work himself, he got his restored Exec fixed for the insurance settlement.

Getting back to the seat belt thing...

Wearing seat belts made no difference to Paul or his wife. OTOH, seat belts and air bag probably made all the difference to the hitee.

Ya pays yo $ and ya takes yo chances (appropriate vernacular, given the race of the hitee, who was a cell phone at the time -- but I digress).

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/9 16:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hank, to mention the side impact makes sense, thanks for that. Am I wrong in interpreting that the burst of a door would unbuckle the passengers after "tightening" their waists?

Quote:
...ALl and all and in the end, to do the job the right way will require anchoring to the roof. There is really no other option. Anything else is just more or less decoration...

Keith, please take into account that the roof has no ribbing structure. Just fancy a rollover.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 12:35
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Wearing seat belts made no difference to Paul or his wife. OTOH, seat belts and air bag probably made all the difference to the hitee.

Ya pays yo $ and ya takes yo chances (appropriate vernacular, given the race of the hitee, who was a cell phone at the time -- but I digress).

I don't mean to be unduly rude, but why even make this post? Statistically, seat belts are safer than no seat belts, although there are always anecdotal events to the contrary.

Posts like yours encourage people not to invest in seat belts, which is a poor idea.

I have two good friends who are still here (and healthy) because they wore belts. In one case, people in the other car died because they were not wearing belts. .2 blood alcohol didn't help them.....

Sorry if this offends, but your lives are way too important to not use belts.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 15:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I think Craig's post is interesting anecdotal evidence - a testament to how sturdy those old cars were. Modern vehicles are too small/light for their own good.

Statistically, they say flying is safer than driving, but I think the survival rate - on a per incident basis - from vehicle crashes has got to be a lot better than from plane crashes.

Personally, I think the use of automotive seat belt for an adult should be strictly at that occupant's discretion - not a gubbamint mandate.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
In this rare instance I think the gummint is right (but probably for the wrong reasons).

Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face.

Or, as my sainted grandmother was fond of saying, "It's a long cow that has no tail...."

Posted on: 2011/9/11 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
""It's a long cow that has no tail....""

That is more commonly a dairy cow. They are 'docked' for cleanliness.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 9:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
When you have a moment look up Severin Dardin.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does the Carib HT have one of those kind of one piece cardboard headliners or is it a fabric headliner like my Executive???

Posted on: 2011/9/12 6:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved