Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: V8 oil pump. Hash v Packard v 56J et-al
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the responses. I've heard about the Chevy electric option, but also that they're very scarce. As far as the "booster" pumps, I doubt they did much good except maybe when new. One problem with all of this vacuum stuff is small leaks, which will affect performance but probably never be traced.

I recently had a brainstorm (brainfart some may say) about an electric booster pump. Why not? It may require a separate switch, but that could be hidden. It wouldn't put out less vacuum based on manifold pressure drop (or, for that matter, engine slowing under load, which also affect any mechanical "booster").

Anyone ever try something like this, or have an idea for a small vacuum pump that would work (I'm thinkin' bilge pump, re-plumbed or running backwards).

The only alternative to these fixes is to continue glumly wondering why Packard, a former electrical company, would use cheesy vacuum wipers on a luxury car??? Much less compromise the oil pump to boot????????

Posted on: 2011/9/14 11:23
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the electric booster pump is what patgreen is contemplating if it becomes necessary. He mentioned a Cadillac version so early 90's I think on that one. Several of the aftermarket brake and streetrod places also sell pumps.

Most don't need a separate switch just to run as they keep a small reserve or have a sense switch and turn on when necessary. Downside to them is most are in the $3-500.00 range. Upside is all could probably be plumbed into the brake vacuum supply system and you would get the benefit of the pump there as well. If you want excitement, try to stop a BTV car with dead engine and no vacuum when it's rolling backwards down a mountain road.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 11:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I've heard about the Chevy electric option, but also that they're very scarce.

You don't have to hunt for a tri-5 Chevy wiper motor. New Port Engineering makes a new substitute unit including switch. They can be contacted at (800) 829-1929. That's what I used.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/14 11:37
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Don't know much about the Cadillac pump. The man who installed my oil pump is a Cadallac expert; he mentioned it as an option since I no longer have a vacuum pump.

As noted in that thread, vacuum without the pump seems better than with it, and adequate for a summer shower. I don't take my car if truly bad weather is in the forecast.....

Posted on: 2011/9/14 12:08
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

patgreen wrote:
vacuum without the pump seems better than with it

If the pump isn't working, it's just one big potential leak, so your comment makes a lot of sense!

Posted on: 2011/9/15 16:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the pump isn't working, it's just one big potential leak, so your comment makes a lot of sense!

There is a balance valve in the line. It's no longer functioning in it's original purpose if it's still installed since there is only one vacuum source now but suspect the valve might not be working--if you have a windshield washer, the mechanic probably left it in to provide that vacuum connection and plugged the now extra port. If the valve were working, it should have prevented the vacuum being lost thru a bad pump and you would see no difference in operation. If you do resort to adding another vacuum source and use the old connection, then might want to check the valve operation.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 16:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved