Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

Todd W. White, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Front brake help.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The brake components look pretty new. Are you sure its just not seeping fluid on that one cylinder and the rust you see is brake dust sticking to the fluid? or the fluid has eaten the paint in on those components.

You make want to bleed out some of the fluid and see if it looks good. Perhaps you just have one leaking cylinder. I agree that when in doubt replace it to be sure, but everything in there looks so new.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 10:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
I agree the brake components look good. I would just address the wheel cylinder issue and move on. Make sure you don't have any fluid on the lining.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 21:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Well, I checked the other front brake and it appears to be ok. Upon closer inspection, you're right, the brakes look like they might have been redone not too long ago but fell victim to too much sitting around and not enough driving. The drums look new, with no ridge on them whatsoever.

I couldn't check the rears because I haven't gotten one of those heavy duty drum pullers yet. I've just started pricing them out. Looks like they go for between $100 and $150. I'm going to try and find one locally before I order one.

I wound up ordering one wheel cylinder from Kanter. When it arrives, I'll swap out my bad one and then rebuild the old one with a kit and keep it on the shelf so I have a spare that's ready to go.

So for now, I'm going to replace the one wheel cylinder, disassemble and clean the other front wheel cylinder, and completely flush the brake fluid because I don't know how old it is. That should get me back on the road safely.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2011/9/29 21:40
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
I took the wheel cylinder off and found it to be gummed up. The rubber components looked alright and were soft and pliable like they should be. I cleaned them up, honed out the wheel cylinder and put it all back together.

I completely flushed the brake fluid as the stuff in there was completely contaminated.

The brakes are firm and the car stops remarkably well for being such a large and heavy vehicle with 4 wheel drum brakes.

The other brake cylinder was pretty clean. I just took it apart, cleaned it up, and honed it out (about two passes with the hone). Put it back together and on I went.

I did notice that the front stabilizer bar bushing was just just hanging there. So I fixed that while I was under there too.

The Kanter wheel cylinder came just as I finished everything up. I'll just put it on the shelf for a spare. Like I said, I'm not sure what those rear brakes look like yet.

Thanks for the help guys.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.06 KB)
4045_4e8be40bd5c67.jpg 615X461 px

jpg  (30.48 KB)
4045_4e8be4adb9e31.jpg 458X462 px

jpg  (49.53 KB)
4045_4e8be4d641f80.jpg 461X615 px

Posted on: 2011/10/5 0:03
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Here's a few more pictures of the wheel cylinder. only half was gummed up. The other side was pretty clean.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.13 KB)
4045_4e8be6b0b5bf9.jpg 615X461 px

jpg  (94.33 KB)
4045_4e8be6efe6a5f.jpg 1116X615 px

jpg  (72.23 KB)
4045_4e8be74dcd620.jpg 615X461 px

Posted on: 2011/10/5 0:13
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Just a couple more pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.70 KB)
4045_4e8be7ff79222.jpg 507X377 px

jpg  (73.67 KB)
4045_4e8be80be999b.jpg 1096X390 px

Posted on: 2011/10/5 0:17
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved