Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
284 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 284

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water Pump Seal for '51 Packard 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Hoping someone can help me figure out which is the correct seal for my '51 288 Club Sedan, (and if I maybe I can get one in Australia).

Would like to source the seal here if I can, especially after discovering that Kanter no longer supplies pump parts (- just complete exchange pumps now) and some others don't do seals on their own, just kits. I've got a new pump shaft & bearing so only need the seal now. Plus - core freight freight to US will cost a lot, and I have a press to do the work anyway.

I've pulled apart the two pumps I have and one has a different seal to the other. (One seal is incomplete - looks like it has failed, and the insides are missing, only the case remains. Plus, I don't have the shaft / bearing for that pump). So question is, which one of the two (if any) is the original seal? Did Packard do two different types of seal? I couldn't find a post on packardinfo that relates or has photos, although there is some good stuff like at

Water Pump Replacement

The manual says there is a bronze bushing on the shaft and I have one pump with the bronze bushing still on the shaft, but the seal that is with it doesn't look like the correct one. Not quite sure why the bronze bushing is needed either. There is a lip on the fan end which might deflect water so looks like it might be an added safeguard to help prevent water from getting into the bearing. 22nd and 23rd series pumps had part 5.1927: 'Slinger - Shaft, Water' which wasn't included in 24th series pumps.

An incorrect seal might be too deep and place too much force on the mating surface. One not deep enough won't seal properly, so what depth is correct is the question.

It appears the seal mates directly onto the end of the impeller, without there being any 'thrust washer' used (ceramic or otherwise).

I can post more photos and also provide measurement details if necessary.

If no luck with finding a source here, can anyone recommend a supplier in the States who will do seal only and will know the correct one?

Pump #1 with seal still intact

Click to see original Image in a new window

My second pump - seal removed - showing where seal is installed

Showing the second pump and the seal that was removed from it. Different style of seal to that in pump #1 . . .

Shaft (ex-pump #1) showing the bronze bushing with a lip, pressed onto shaft. Workshop Manual mentions this bushing.

The end of the impeller - needs dressing if the seal mates directly onto this end surface!

Posted on: 2011/10/23 1:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Water Pump Seal for '51 Packard 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Just to add a bit of extra information . . . noticed a photo of the Max Merritt kit for the '51 pump, and there is either a washer / thrust washer to use on the impeller end, or more likely a replacement for the bushing on fan end, in their kit. Difficult to tell from that view of the parts. Their seal looks similar to the one I removed from my second pump (- incomplete seal). I guess I could ask them to trot a kit out, and measure the overall depth of the seal. Then again, they might tell me to not waste their time!

Does 'fortune favour the brave'?

Max Merritt Kit for '51 pump

Posted on: 2011/10/23 2:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved