Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 212

charlieshot, Packard Don, Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 6v fuel pump wiring question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"He had one on his 1939 Cadillac convertible sedan. When you turned on the ignition it thumped about 10 times and stopped. It wasn't switched, so it pumped as needed, that is , when the pressure dropped. It worked great for years"

That would be a Stewart Warner electric fuel circa 1955 to 1975 that i know of. About the size of a 16 oz. can of beer or slightly smaller. I had one for years too as an emergency use pump to carry in the trucnk of various cars.

IIRC it was a rather expensive pump too. They were usualy used IN PAIRS on pro racing road course applications.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 9:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
With all of the problems experienced using, connecting, etc the electric fuel pump i would think at some point it would be cheaper and easier in the long run to just spend the bucks on a GOOD QUALITY HISTORICALLY WELL KNOWN BRAND NAME fuel pump and pressure regulator.

THus far everyone seems to be bent on using somekind of el-cheapo import piece of shit pump (i CARRY a chep pump too as an emergency use pump) that generates pages of controversy.

LEt us come to grips with the REAL REASON (that no one really wants to admit to) why the e-pumps are installed or desired. IT is NOT for priming the carb, that is not the real reaason!!! THE REAL REASON is to overcome fuel vaporization if and when it does occur.

The carb can be easily primed using a lighter fluid can of gasoline and WITHOUT removing aircleaner (in most cases). For solely priming the carb with an e-pump assumes a very poor owner habit of NOT LIFTING THE HOOD to connect battery or make visual inspection of engine bay area for rodent infestation etc after LONG PERIODS of say more than 2 weeks of abandoned service of the car.

LEts cut thru the shit here and get down to the real reason as to why the e-pump is used so that maybe a more effective method of overcomming the wide spread and near epidemic level of fuel vaporization can be over come.

Buy a GOOD QUALITY WELL KNOWN BRAND NAME e-pump and install it and ELEMINATE the mechanical pump. That's a good start until we can do better.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 10:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, perhaps this is the style of electric pump you were referring to as about the size of a 16-oz been can?

This one was found under the seat of my 34 Packard when I bought it so it dates to no newer than 1963 - the car had a functioning mechanical pump then as it does now, which has never caused a falter or problem once the diaphram was changed to EtOH-compatible about 12 years back. Of course on the Eight/Super Eight it has the advantage of being on the non-manifold side of the engine and directly in the fan-blast.

I've used this pump a couple of times for emptying a gas tank - that's about it. It's quiet, pumps a very large volume at low pressure (about 4 psi), and draws quite a bit of current. It's wired and plumbed for an emergency installation should it ever be needed - but hasn't yet in all these years.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.78 KB)
177_4eaacaff2ddf1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.09 KB)
177_4eaacb070ffc6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/10/28 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen. The one i have (or had ) was twice as tall as yours and inlet and outlet were at the end of the pump. Regardless, i'm sure the pump u have pictured would be a very good choice too. Mine made a thumping or pulsating noise when pumping and would stop when preassure was reached (used on carbureted cars 1940's thru 1980's) and one or two mechanical FI applications.

My pump eventualy went bad about 5 years ago from having been hauled around in the back of trucks and general neglect of storeage care. But it sure got me out of alot road side break down situations as well as other diagnostic type uses. I'll see if i still have it and post somes pics.

BTW, in ALL uses of it (thru 1970's and 1990's) i always rigged it up on the fender skirt INSIDE the engine compartment. NEVER ever even thot to hang it near the gas tank. Never had a reason to. OF course gas formulations have changed since.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, thanks for taking time to answer my question. It has been some time since someone addressed me as "Jdub", it made me smile. I am considering re-installing an electric fuel pump on the 55 Clipper as it is most difficult to start after sitting for more than a few days. All of this is helpful.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/28 10:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The elapsed time when my 56 Carib has to crank a bit to start after sitting is about 10 days. But I really don't mind the little extra cranking; for a extra set of starter motor brushes perhaps once in a lifetime and a battery that might last a few months less than normal, I like the fact that I have oil pressure up before the engine starts.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"The elapsed time when my 56 Carib has to crank a bit to start after sitting is about 10 days." That is what i have experienced too.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 11:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved