Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

leaf springs, 55 clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Several years ago I had the rear springs replaced on my 55 Panama. The new springs give a firm ride, in fact too firm.
I can stand on the rear bumper and the car does not lower at all. I pick up all the road noises. I can see that there are six very strong looking leafs on both sides. I suspect I can improve the ride by removing one or two of the leafs from each side.

Has anyone done this or have any comments? It appears an easy thing to do.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 12:35
 Top  Print   

Re: leaf springs, 55 clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It is an easy thing to do or at least not too hard. You need to jack the car up, remove the U bolts that hold the axle to the spring, raise the axle, remove the bolt in the middle of the spring and take out every second leaf, or whatever you feel is right. Then put the bolt back in and bolt the rear axle down.

It might be best to leave this to a spring shop. Take your car to a weight scale and have it weighed front, rear, and total weight. The spring shop can use this info to calculate what springs you need. It sounds like someone bought some "heavy duty" springs thinking since they cost more they must be better. Not necessarily so.

If you go to remove some leaves, remember the short ones make the spring stiffer while the long ones carry the weight. Do you have any pictures or specs of the original springs?

Posted on: 2011/10/30 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I have no pictures or specs. I will try to remove 2 springs first and see how it feels. Then fine tune from there.

Thanks for the info

Posted on: 2011/10/30 20:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New leaf springs allegedly "to original specs" can be purchased from Dayton Spring who may bave been the original supplier to Packard (?). Also Kanter's sells "correct" new springs. If getting a ride quality like it originally had is important, these may be better options.

Posted on: 2011/10/30 20:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved