Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 255

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: maximum wear for 356 valve stems?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Here are pictures of the tool I made and also the removed guide showing the end of it broken off.

By the Way Egge has new guides for I believe $ 6.65 each. Part number G631 and kit number PK327M51-54

Attach file:

jpg  (63.66 KB)
4088_4ee3d20983092.jpg 591X483 px

jpg  (78.44 KB)
4088_4ee3d270c1cbf.jpg 954X429 px

Posted on: 2011/12/10 16:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bobs51, thanks for the pictures, and I enjoyed our phone conversation this afternoon - I think everything should be straight forward for you from this point. Your guide driver is a dead ringer for the KD-815. But I do suggest using a heavier hammer, 3 or 4# shorthandled sledge. It really doesn't matter where you break the guide as long as you can get it out, but usually we drive them down so they are broken at about the midpoint.

I'll mail you the hydraulic tappet gauge next week. No rush to return, really.

Posted on: 2011/12/10 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe OLD guide may not have been a stock guide. Make sure what ever vendor u buy the new guides from can give u a diameter of the new guide.

Posted on: 2011/12/10 19:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
THe OLD guide may not have been a stock guide. Make sure what ever vendor u buy the new guides from can give u a diameter of the new

Thanks for the info. I already thought that could be the problem. The fact that the measurement from the top of the guide to the top of the block is not the same from guide to guide leads me to believe they were replaced at one time.

Question: Can anyone tell me what the measurement should be,( top of guide to top of block ), for the intake and exhaust guides.

Info: my engine is the 1951 327 and not the 356. Should have started a completely new thread. Will be more carful in the future.

Posted on: 2011/12/11 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OUTER DIAMETER! It's the outer diameter that is the major question. If the old guide was larger diamter (OD) then any replacement guides made for that Packard engine mite be too small. Likely that a former rebuilder of the engine bored the engine to accept a guide from some other make of engine that used a larger diameter guide.

Mite even need to check the valves to be sure if they are valves made for a Packard engine. Stem diamter of valve???

Posted on: 2011/12/11 15:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OUTER DIAMETER! It's the outer diameter that is the major question. If the old guide was larger diamter (OD) then any replacement guides made for that Packard engine mite be too small. Likely that a former rebuilder of the engine bored the engine to accept a guide from some other make of engine that used a larger diameter guide.

I don't think there is any uncertainty about the guides here, except for the depth measurement for driving them in. This thread carries a title about a "356" engine and when I gave the advice about guide removal I assumed it was a "356", but after talking to Bob I learned that it's a "327".

Posted on: 2011/12/11 15:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Mite even need to check the valves to be sure if they are valves made for a Packard engine. Stem diamter of valve???

The valves were correct. Still had the valves with the Packard name on the under-side. Owen is correct, I need to confirm the measurement from the top of the guide to the top of the block so I can drive the new guides in to the proper depth.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Posted on: 2011/12/11 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. So then the 327 valve guides have to be broken for removal but 356 guides can be removed as one piece???

Posted on: 2011/12/11 18:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not exactly. If you don't remove the cam and tappet bases (edit: cam followers) on the 356 engine, you'll have to snap them off as well. I suggest you browse the engine section of the 46-50 and 51-54 shop manuals for more detail, it's well-covered.

Posted on: 2011/12/11 21:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved